Surface Labels

PEGAdevelopment

I was just noticing that my surface labels will only display if my surface is displayed.

When the surface layer is frozen, and my surface labels layer is on, the labels will not show.

Is there a way around this?

I know I can set my surface style to 'no display', but was wondering if there was another way.

If you freeze your surface, your labels will disappear. Change the style to a no display or no plot style. Not that hard. Dont know why a workaround would be needed.

Civil 3D Objects are meant to use styles and are meant to be controlled by styles, not layers.

In my next viewport the style needs to show, and I don't want to have to change it back and forth while printing.

The surface doesn't actually live on a layer

The surface object *does* reside on some layer.

That layer default is set in Drawing Settings > Object Layers > Tin Surface/Grid Surface

I was just noticing that my surface labels will only display if my surface is displayed.

When the surface layer is frozen, and my surface labels layer is on, the labels will not show.

Is there a way around this?

AFAIK, no.

If you freeze the surface object layer, labels vanish also.

But you could freeze the layer(s) of the surface subcomponents (whether that be the contour line layer, or the triangles layer, etc.)

For example, my surface object is on layer "C-TINN" which is thawed and on.

My surface style is set to Triangles only.

The triangles are on layer "C-TINN-VIEW" (set in the style)

I freeze C-TINN-VIEW and the surface is not visible, and the labels are.

• 3 years later...

Interestingly, I'm actually having trouble viewing my labels even when I use styles to make my surface invisible. I've set my surface to the "nodisplay" style provided by AutoCAD. My contour elevation labels disappear with any surface style that does not display the contours themselves. No layers are frozen or turned off. What gives?

Civil3D, 2013

what I have done in the past is to put only the surface boundary on a no plot layer, leave that layer on and freeze/turn off all the other surface related layers.