Issues with Scaling and Line Weights. Help urgently needed.

I have a drawing I want to plot to 1/8" Scale. I'm drawing at 1:1 scale and When zooming in to draw my line weights look accurate, however when I zoom out to view my whole drawing lines are to thick/blotchy and shapes are distorted. I've played with plot styles, dimension styles and my line weights ... nothing seems to solve this. I believe it has something to do with the size of my drawing.

I attached a drawing. If anyone can take a look at it and offer some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

forumhelp.dwg

This really is not an issue. It only occurs on the display screen. Your lines will plot fine, at the width (lineweight property) you specify.

The lineweight display feature only shows a relative thickness, rather than the actual thickness of your lines. In other words, it only shows which ones are fat, and which ones are thin. Lines are NOT displayed at their actual thickness on the display screen.

When you have the line weight display feature toggled on, lines display at the same number of pixels whether you are zoomed in or out. The further out you zoom the fatter they look since a pixel is a pixel. Your display monitor pixels are always the same size.

There is a toggle button at the bottom of your drawing window to turn this feature on and off. It has a little cross on it. There is a way to control the relative thickness of the lineweight display differential. Go to Options >> User Preferences Tab >> Lineweight Settings button. There is a slide switch that controls the amount your fat lines get displayed relative to the thin lines.

Thank you for the advice. I have played with the toggle as well. Still something is not right as this is how it comes out when I plot it also.

I attached the full drawing after I plotted and a partial of the drawing zoomed it, the line weights appear accurate when zoomed as you can see I'm lose detail on the drawing.

Also, it is turning out this way no matter which paper size I plot to, I have played with those as well. I can't seem to get the entire drawing

Thanks again.

ForumPlotted-Layout1.pdf

plot-forum.pdf

Thank you for the advice. I have played with the toggle as well. Still something is not right as this is how it comes out when I plot it also.

I attached the full drawing after I plotted and a partial of the drawing zoomed it, the line weights appear accurate when zoomed as you can see I'm lose detail on the drawing.

Also, it is turning out this way no matter which paper size I plot to, I have played with those as well. I can't seem to get the entire drawing

Thanks again.

I can't open the drawing you posted in the first post because my software version is older. I can't see how you're controlling your lineweights in the drawing, but I did look at the pdf's. It appears to me that your lines are simply much too thick (lineweight) for the scale you are plotting.

Have you tried checking the box "Scale Object Lineweights" on your Plot dialog or the page setup layout manager?

Here is a screen shot of the layers with lineweights I used on the last office building I worked on. They worked very well for floor plans, and details. You will see that the heaviest line is only 0.30 mm, and i don't even use that one because I think it is way too heavy.

Maybe your plot style is overriding the object lineweights by color?

Yes I have checked Scale object lineweights and have edited my view-ports and page setups. I must be setting the scale wrong somehow. If you see the pdfs, the only way to plot the drawing with clean lines and visible detail is at 1:1 (which is impossible to plot the entire drawing), this is what the close up I posted was plotted at. However, I'm trying to plot to 1/8" scale. As soon as I change the scale everything is distorted. I did notice that I am using imperial verses metric. Could this be affecting the problem?

If you want "clean lines" then you'll have to plot with lineweight turned off (or at least significantly reduced). The default lineweight is 0.25mm. By comparison two lines that are 1/2" apart will be 0.26mm apart when plotted at 1/8" = 1'-0", so for all practical purposes they'll plot as a single 0.50mm line.