3D Flange Bolt Holes in AutoCAD MEP 2013

mong0038

I am trying to show the bolt holes in flanges. I would like to know if this is just a setting that must be turned on in AutoCAD or if I need to make the bolt holes myself. If I need to make them myself, can I edit an existing flange or do I need to make it from scratch for every size? If it is just a setting where can I find it?

Thank you!

I am trying to show the bolt holes in flanges. I would like to know if this is just a setting that must be turned on in AutoCAD or if I need to make the bolt holes myself. If I need to make them myself, can I edit an existing flange or do I need to make it from scratch for every size? If it is just a setting where can I find it?

Thank you!

The out of the box content for flanges are parametric, so in order to show bolt/bolt holes you'll have to modify the part yourself, which can be a daunting task. Few people have attempted it through the years and even fewer have succeeded with partially good results. Most of the time, when you see 3D models and renders of well developed piping flanges and fittings, they're not AutoCAD MEP parts, but normal solid models.

Thank you for the response. That's too bad that there's not an easy fix. What is the easiest way to turn a flange into a 3D solid so I can cut the holes myself? Not on the block level just on the per flange level.

There are a couple ways to do this.

• To convert the entire project to 3D Solids, make sure you're in a 3D View, and go to the "A" Application Button > Export > AutoCAD > AutoCAD 20XX.
  • To convert a single object, type CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS or go to the Home Tab > Modify Panel > Convert to 3D Solids tool (screenshot below). WARNING: This takes away the intelligence of the object, so keep this in mind before going buck-wild with this tool. Usually I copy things out of place to do my converting and leave the AutoCAD MEP objects alone for future model editing.

Hope this helps.

2014-01-18_0825_ConvertTo3DSolids.png