autocad mep vs revit mep

408z28

Hi everyone. New to this site. I currently work for a full mechanical contractor who is currently looking into stepping up there drafting program. Currently we are using an old version of software not even sure if its autocad or not. It is an eastcoast product that we use and when we need to import a drawing i know it needs to be saved as 2004 dwg. My question is we had to salesman come out one from from east coast with there program with autocad 2014 and one guy from tsi and sysque with revit. My question is what do you guys recommend i see revit is the future. But as far as what i see it doens't look as user friendly towards contractors as autocad does. Maybe thats just me. Thanks for your help and looking forward to reaxing your responses.

I have and seems to me it's more suited for engineers and architects then contractors at this point. I have heard

it's not fabrication friendly. I'm just trying to see all possibilties and try to come up with the best approach.

Did you read any of the well thought out comments by forum member tzframpton? He is a very big advocate of Revit.

If not Revit what would you use instead?

This thread had a good discussion....http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?21047-AutoCAD-MEP-vs-Revit-MEP

Edited by ReMark

I would use autocad mep with say east coast or quickpen. I'm new to this. I just want to make sure me and employer are well informed before we make this decision. I have read some topics on this and they both make good points. But from what i see is revit is not nearly as popular as autocad is. I know autocad has been aroun alot longer. It just seems to me it's more design based at this point and not up to par in fabrication side.

I have and seems to me it's more suited for engineers and architects then contractors at this point. I have heard

it's not fabrication friendly. I'm just trying to see all possibilties and try to come up with the best approach.

You are correct that the Revit platform has the engineer in mind. It most certainly can be used as a fabrication tool, but mostly in the architectural and structural realm. Being used as a fabrication software for MEP, out of the box, is not that easily done. However, SysQue is the answer to bridging the gap between Revit MEP and contracting:

http://sysque.net/

I do not believe, however, that you can export directly to a duct manufacturing CNC/Plasma setup, but I'm not sure. I haven't scoured the website enough to see if this is true or not. Coming from the field myself, I cannot see this being a fiscally good decision. Taps for low pressure duct, and not leaving field cut joints and pieces available for the field guys to do what they do is just not a good idea, plus it puts a terrible strain on the designer to set up and account for every single tap, S&D, flange, etc - so utilize SysQue for very accurate BIM models, but not for fabrication - unless the job specs demand for that level of coordination and the added labor has been firmly inserted into the proposal to the GC.

Revit is a different animal for sure, so give your designer(s) plenty of time to get through the growing pains. A year of cussing, screaming and throwing blunt items across the room will happen, but after about a year you'll never return back to AutoCAD - period.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post back with any additional question. :)

*EDIT*

Some of the posts that ReMark linked to are pretty old, way back in 2008, when Revit MEP wasn't as far along as it is now. Also, some of my very early posts did not favor the Revit platform yet, due to the growing pains. Revit has came a LONG way since 2008 and trust my opinion that I'd use Revit first, before any other MEP platform, hands down - now that I'm proficient with the platform ( six years later now, from 2008 ).

Edited by tzframpton