Two Monitors - is it necessary for efficiency in AutoCAD

PRSS

Hello everybody

Through the web, I am seeing a lot of people are using two monitors (both fairly large screens - say 23-24inch - looks like) when working in AutoCAD. Even some of the AutoCAD ads or in the brochure, two monitors are shown.

I saw in the web one whole office floor with lot of people working with 2 monitors in CAD.

Is this a necessity for efficiency. Will productivity suffer using one 23 inch monitor? I have provided all my staff with 23 inch monitors.

Please throw some light on this. I wish to know if I am doing something wrong - when almost the whole of the rest of the world (other than India, where I am) seems to be using 2 monitors.

Thanks in advance

PRSS

2 monitors is more efficient, it's not neccessary but it does make a difference, especially if you use other programs along with Autocad like Excel, anything that stops you having to swap around different windows is a good idea, I prefer to work on a large clutter free screen for drawing, so I have forced myself to use keyboard input for commands, so no ribbon or menu's etc? but a lot of people move them onto a second monitor. At the last 2 companies I worked 2 screens was standard. Just a note life is much easier if both monitors are the same size even the same model.

It is very nice (and addicting!) to have two screens, but not at all required. In fact, it can be tempting to distract oneself with putting something on the second screen that perhaps you don't need to look at. Like this forum... that I have...on the second... hmm...

Anyway.

When you say you see "everyone else" having two screens - think about who you are really seeing. You are seeing the folks that perhaps for a living is showing off their work, they work with the Internet and understand how to use the Internet. I am not doing a very good job of explaining I feel, but my point is that the great mass that uses AutoCAD, you never see because they are sitting behind their screen, working with AutoCAD - and even if half of them uses two screen, it's still a huge number of people not using two screens.

Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Though I would really love to have to have two monitors, our economy here is not so encouraging. So we manage with one. It is comforting to know that many are using one monitor in the rest of the world too !!

With best regards

PRSS

CAD techs have been using one monitor setups for years and years and their productivity hasn't suffered enough to be noticed. Yes, there are some jobs that might benefit from a two monitor setup but I really don't see the need for your company to run out and buy everyone a second one. Your graphics card also has to be able to support the addition of a second monitor. Do you know if yours does?

I have any pdf's with job info and part details or specifications when needed on the 2nd screen.

I will never go back to a single monitor.

I'm with Handiman. I've been using two monitors for as long as I can remember, and I'm officially spoiled. That being said, it's absolutely not necessary for productivity.

My 2 cents: I have 2 x 19" 4:3 and it was _pain_ when I had to go back to one screen for a while. I tried to set up 3, but the graphic card couldn't drive them in the same time :-/ One monitor might be enough if you work on one drawing, but for working on 2+ drawings in the same time or autocad + data in spreadsheet it's much easier with 2 screens.

Get 2 screens if you can and decide after 2 weeks if you want to return to one.

Thanks everybody. From whatever I have read from the replies of this post, even though my computers can handle 2 monitors, I don't seem to have the needs which others have in having 2 monitors. So I, for now, settle for only one for eac computer. Thanks again. You people have really helped in making a decision.

I'm with Handiman. I've been using two monitors for as long as I can remember, and I'm officially spoiled. That being said, it's absolutely not necessary for productivity.

OK, what about that: your well-being is increasing productivity and having 2 screens on your desk is improving your well-being?

OK, what about that: your well-being is increasing productivity and having 2 screens on your desk is improving your well-being?

Somehow I think that well-being does not depend on the number of screens on the desk....