Is all of my work gone? (Oleson Village Project)

Nocrow

Hello, CAD-Pros

I have been working on my (PF Oleson Village) project for the past few evenings and making some good progress. I have been re-reading chapters in the textbook and reviewing previous posts in the forums to aid me in this endeavor. Late last night I zoomed-extents and all my work was gone. I have been saving after every function. What happened? Do I have to restart from the beginning? Ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Nocrow

• Dadgad

• BillK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please check for a file with drawing.BAK extension that should be found in the same name as your exercise file (drawing.DWG). Rename it as drawing1.DWG and open it; it should contain the version before last save.

So long as you haven't closed the drawing then repeatedly clicking on the undo button should get you back, it sounds like you have an object way off in space, so when you zoom extents everything gets really really small. If you have closed the drawing then don't open it again without making a copy of the ****.bak file from the folder you were saving into, copy it somewhere else and then change the file extension to ****.dwg. That should at least give you a working drawing from a previous save point. And if you did close the drawing, after making copies, open the drawing and try pressing Ctrl+A you will probably see some blue marks at the edge of your screen keep zooming in on one of those it will be your drawing objects that you lost, if it is some odd lost line or geometry then delete it and zoom extents again.

Use Zoom, Window, 0,0 , 1000,1000 . Do you see some or most of your work? Zoom out some more until you see everything you are expecting. There is an object thrown out way away from your work which throws off zoom extents. Now use erase, all, R, use a crossing window to select everything you want to keep, hit enter. Now try zoom extents again.

Nothing worked ... tried all of your ideas. I guess a have to start over.

Thanks anyway

BTW ..why would that occur (work disappearing after zoom - extents)? I thought I was doing everything correctly. Guess not

Nothing worked ... tried all of your ideas. I guess a have to start over.

Thanks anyway

BTW ..why would that occur (work disappearing after zoom - extents)? I thought I was doing everything correctly. Guess not

Kan you post the drawing, here or something like dropbox if it is too big, stuff shouldn't just vanish, it may just be hiding somewhere.

DON'T START OVER, until we have had a chance to solve your problem.

Did you use WINDOWS EXPLORER to open your folder and look for another file of the same name, but ending in .bak?

If you find that you should be okay. :)

Both MSASU and steven-g have suggested what you should do when you find the .bak file.

AUTOCAD won't find the .bak file, use Windows Explorer to find it.

If you use the command STATUS, you can see how many entities are in the drawing.

Is this project the one where a tree has to be inserted? In some other thread, it revealed that the quoted coordinates were about a mile away. When you zoom extents, the screen expands to show this distant object, but because of the magnification required all your linework appears a dot.

Mind if I chime in here?

Not only have I helped other students with this project I have also drawn much of the geometry. I am familiar with the "tree in outer space" problem having discovered this error and brought it to the attention of Penn-Foster. If you give me a few minutes I'll pull up my drawing as well as that of another P-F student and former forum member Car5858. I have an idea that I would like you to try. Hold on. I'll be back.8)

I'm back.

This is what I would like you to do Nocrow. It is very simple. We are going to draw a line between two points. The first point is 0,0 and the second one is the center of the benchmark at the northeast corner of SW Washington Street and SW Oleson Road. Then we are going to zoom in on the benchmark. Follow the prompts below to draw the line.

LINE

Specify first point: 0,0

Specify next point or [undo]: 1421334.93,783207.62 (these are the coordinates for the center of the benchmark)

Specify next point or [undo]:

Command: Z (for Zoom)

ZOOM

Specify corner of window, enter a scale factor (nX or nXP), or

[All/Center/Dynamic/Extents/Previous/Scale/Window/Object] : W (W is for "Window")

Specify first corner: Specify opposite corner:

Command: Z (repeat as necessary to see your drawing)

STOP! Don't do anything else. Come back here and let us know if your finally found your drawing.

This is what I see on my screen when zoomed to the limits Penn-Foster recommends students use for the Oleson Village project.

I have drawn a line from 0,0 to the center of the benchmark. Oleson Village is inside the red circle. See it?

OlesonLostInSpace.jpg

Reminds me of the old TV program Lost In Space. :shock::lol:

Just to refresh your memory these are the project limits:

Command: limits

Reset Model space limits:

Specify lower left corner or [ON/OFF] :

Specify upper right corner :

That's right...10 million, 10 million.

These are the coordinates (lower left hand corner, upper right hand corner) of the actual village itself.

....from point, X=1420531.09 Y=783074.00 Z= 0.00

....to point, X=1422256.09 Y=784093.89 Z= 0.00 Compare these coordinates to those shown above.

I told one of the instructors over at Penn-Foster they should reconsider changing the coordinates defining the upper right hand corner of the project limits to something smaller but I guess they did not follow my advice.

Do a zoom ext. do the reverse drag to select everything on the screen. you will find some grips at the bottom left and some out in space there some where. Hold the shift key down and deselect the items in the lower left. use the move command to move the items in space. I would use end point to get the start location. click on the object in space. then move to 0,0,0. then zoom ext. once more. now you should see you drawing. the items you moved will not be in there correct location. if it is a block do not explode it untill you locate in the correct location. If it is a block the block insertion point may be your ghost so exploding the item in space may fix the problem.

Again thanks to all, I found it, even though I already started another(not as far along though but finding this is a great timesaver nonetheless) FYI and thanks for the suggestion, I did the renaming of the .bak file but that didn't seem to change anything. When I changed the limits from what is specified in the assignment (0,0 - 2000000, 2000000) to (0,0 - 10000000,10000000) I found a speck of something - zoomed and there she was ( I refer to the drawings as ladies ). Did this occur due to my limits being wrong or some other anomaly that I should be aware of? I really appreciate all the suggestions and I apologize that it takes me awhile to respond ... I work a lot and have a monster commute .... but I would never blow off these suggestions ... or giving my appreciation. Thanks to all .... BTW this auto cad is rather fun and I look forward to learning it.

Again thanks to all, I found it, even though I already started another(not as far along though but finding this is a great timesaver nonetheless) FYI and thanks for the suggestion, I did the renaming of the .bak file but that didn't seem to change anything. When I changed the limits from what is specified in the assignment (0,0 - 2000000, 2000000) to (0,0 - 10000000,10000000) I found a speck of something - zoomed and there she was ( I refer to the drawings as ladies ). Did this occur due to my limits being wrong or some other anomaly that I should be aware of? I really appreciate all the suggestions and I apologize that it takes me awhile to respond ... I work a lot and have a monster commute .... but I would never blow off these suggestions ... or giving my appreciation. Thanks to all .... BTW this auto cad is rather fun and I look forward to learning it.
This sort of thing usually happens when copying and pasting. An object can fly off into outer space when pasting for unknown reasons. Perhaps AutoCad forgets where you clicked, who knows.

if you ever have something not appear when pasting, zoom extents to see if it flew off a couple of miles like the one you found.

Glad to hear you found your objects.

The limits specified by P-F now were the ones I suggested in an email to the school last year. Why the old limits should help you solve your problem is a mystery to me.

I agree with eldon. Do as he says, or alternatively, If you were working on a drawing near coordinate 0,0, try zooming in (by window) to 0,0. or type "select all", then "list" to see how many entities you have listed. Another thing is you may have turned a layers visibility off accidentally (*but there should have been a warning message). Check your layers settings.