Creating a stamped feature for a sheet metal part

Viu

I'm currently trying to get a contoured feature stamped into the edge of a piece of sheet metal, such as in the attached picture, but I'm not sure if I need to crate a punch tool or use another tool to perform this operation.

AR180_receiverLeftLg.jpg

Edited by Viu

If you are talking about the letter "S", then you can create a sketch, insert the text, change the height and font, then use the Emboss command under the 3D Model - Create tab.

If you are talking about the letter "S", then you can create a sketch, insert the text, change the height and font, then use the Emboss command under the 3D Model - Create tab.

Nope, I'm talking about the flared out edge.

You'll have to use a 3d model feature such as sweep or loft to create the flare that goes around the end bend. The feature will not flat pattern, but neither do the punch tool features, as they are not linear bend features made with a brake.

Edited by ecshclark

You'll have to use a 3d model feature such as sweep or loft to create the flare that goes around the end bend. The feature will not flat pattern, but neither do the punch tool features, as they are not linear bend features made with a brake.

Are you sure I cannot stamp the feature into the flat before bending? This technique works in real manufacturing, it would be disappointing if I couldn't make this happen in Inventor.

You do not say if flat patterning is a requirement, if so, one solution is to use Derived Part, another would be to suppress features. Yes, you can put in a stamp feature on a planar surface and then fold or unfold the part. As long as the bend line does not cross the feature, but your flared edge is across a bend. So the flare can not be made using Inventor sheet metal commands. In Inventor, as in real manufacturing, bends are made in straight lines across planar surfaces, and stamping is done with a tool. You can not unfold an extruded feature made with a tool, you would need to "Unstamp" that feature. In Inventor "un-stamping" could be as simple as suppressing the extruded features that lie across bend lines to get the part to flat pattern. To me, it appears your flared out edge would be stamped after the part is bent 180 degrees? Based on that premise, you could model the sheet metal part in Inventor without the flare, making sure you have enough length at the end for the flare. This part could develop the flat pattern if needed. Then using Derived Part, add whatever cutting/extruding you need to do to model the flare.

Edited by ecshclark

• 10 months later...