AutoCAD 2014 Performace

CADMASTER1128

Hello all!

I am currently looking into a ACAD certified Laptop to run 2014. However all these computers have high end i7 processors which concerns me because AutoCAD doesn't have muti-thread support. Does that change in AutoCAD 2014?

I have pasted the article below from where I read this...

I am doing nothing more than 2D ACAD drawings (Timber bridges, 10-11 MB) and 3D Sketch-Up Drawings.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15224826&linkID=9240617

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADMASTER1128

• ReMark

• SLW210

• Debalance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't worry too much about it. On the other hand, if an i7 is too much for you to handle, I have a single core Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM I could sell you. You won't be able to run 2014 on it though. Maybe AutoCAD Release 14?

Real funny ReMark... I was just curious because of how my computer performs at the office. Slow, buggy, Fatal Errors and hates Hatching, XREF and PDF Underlay... Switching tabs is also laggy... I have those specs below, running ACAD 2013 Vanilla

Computer Specs.JPG

Just because your i7 at the office runs poorly is no reason not to consider an i7 for your laptop. There could be plenty of reasons for the poor performance with some even attributable to the OS. What has been done thus far to troubleshoot the problems?

Edited by ReMark

Just because your i7 at the office runs poorly is no reason not to consider an i7 for your laptop. There could be plenty of reasons for the poor performance. What has been done to troubleshoot the problems?

We have contacted our IT department and they don't know what to do... I have searched for CADTutor for solutions... I am trying to balance that and getting my work done (and training the new designers)

I just looked at my co-workers computer (who has the latest and greatest) and tried to hatch an area and that Frozen up her computer...

I have attached her specs below...

Computer Specs-Angela.jpg

Your IT department should be on top of Windows updates but it is up to you to keep track of AutoCAD service packs. If it is company policy that all downloads and installs go through the IT department then you have to make them aware of when a service pack is available for your version of AutoCAD and impress upon them that they are just as important to the software you are running as Windows updates are to the OS. Just as important.

So back to my other question. What has been done to troubleshoot the problems you are experiencing specifically with AutoCAD?

So back to my other question. What has been done to troubleshoot the problems you are experiencing specifically with AutoCAD?

Graphics Card driver was updated

IT played with the Hardware Acceleration [Currently Off]

_PURGE of drawings

Currently downloading ACAD 2013 SP2

Moved the server from upstairs to downstairs back upstairs after a week

That's all that I can remember.... A Co-Worker suggested to start fresh and wipe the computer.

I'd hold off on the last one as that should be a "last resort" option after all else has failed.

Have you disabled the CommCenter?

Did you try temporarily disabling your anti-virus program?

Did you verify that all the paths AutoCAD looks at in its search for support files?

Do you utilize xrefs? Layer filters?

Have you checked for bloated scalelists?

Are you going to re-enable hardware acceleration?

Do you have Windows indexing enabled?

Have you disabled digital signature validation?

These are just a few of the things I would have looked at.

Re: Hatching problems. Have you tried setting the system variable HPQUICKPREVIEW to OFF and see if that made any difference at all?

You can see my response in Red

I'd hold off on the last one as that should be a "last resort" option after all else has failed.

Have you disabled the CommCenter? yes, set the REGEDIT value to 0

Did you try temporarily disabling your anti-virus program?IT has control of that

Did you verify that all the paths AutoCAD looks at in its search for support files? Yes, all support files are there

Do you utilize xrefs? Yes, for large site plans Layer filters? No

Have you checked for bloated scalelists? I have reset Scale List

Are you going to re-enable hardware acceleration? Good question, what are your thoughts

Do you have Windows indexing enabled? Good question... I don't think so.

Have you disabled digital signature validation? Good question... I don't think so.

These are just a few of the things I would have looked at.

You know as well as I do that sometimes it is a trial-and-error process. You are not always going to solve the problem on the first try. Exhaust all the possibilities before going nuclear on the problem.

Could part of the problem be attributable to the way you work? I would not rule anything out.

Are you sure you have the correct graphics drivers?

Posted over at blog nauseam:

If your hatching performance is poor, have you tried changing the values of system variables to turn off features to see if the problems persist? Try HPQUICKPREVIEW = 0, HPDLGMODE = 1 and SELECTIONPREVIEW = 0. Also, if you are having display performance issues, try VTENABLE =0 and check using 3DCONFIG to see if your graphics card/driver combination is certified.

Great tips and I adjusted my settings. I will let you know how that does.

check using 3DCONFIG to see if your graphics card/driver combination is certified.[/i]

Now this is interesting....

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert/card?siteID=123112&catID=18254205&id=18844534&product=56&os=8192&hw=268

Graphics Card.jpg