SolidWorks guy trying to learn Inventor

SuperCAD

I'll preface this request by saying that I understand that my frustration has a lot to do with my inexperience with Inventor.

I've got over three years of experience using SolidWorks, after using AutoCAN'T for over a decade. Once we made the switch to SW (at my previous job), it was really easy to build our parts and assemblies using SW. In my new job, however, I've been informed that there is NO WAY that they are going to move from AutoCAN'T to SW. Apparently they are too invested in Autodesk products to jump ship like that.

That said, I think I may be able to convince them to go with Inventor if I could show them how it could help us. Here is where my frustration comes from.

In SW, linking sketches from a part to other parts, planes or sketches in the assemblies was extremely easy. Edit the sketch, click on a line, select what you want to link it to and BAM you're done. With Inventor, I've read that you're supposed to "project" geometry to link a sketch to it, but I cannot find where this magical command is at.

Even inserting parts is a pain for me in Inventor. In SW, your first part was locked to the assembly origin, and each subsequent part was left floating. Then you only needed three mates to anchor the part (two if you were using holes for mates). With Inventor, my second part is floating but when I go to add the constraints I can get two to work, but the third says that it causes a relationship error. This would make me think that the part is fully constrained, but I can still move the @#$% thing!.

So after all of this, I get it. I don't know enough about Inventor to use it properly and certainly not enough to make a convincing argument to use it over AutoCAN'T. I'm only on the 30 day trial so I've got a very limited time to get up to speed with this. Is there a tutorial that would teach me how to use Inventor by comparing the functions with how SW would do it? Something like "if you did this in SW, this is how you do it in Inventor."

There is no significant difference between the basics of Inventor and SolidWorks.

Project Geometry is the same as Convert Entities in SolidWorks, so you must of course, be editing part in context of assembly and in sketch mode to have access.

Copy Object is also a commonly used cross part technique.

I would change the default behavior of Inventor to automatically ground first part in assembly Tools>Application Options>Assembly tab

bunch of other defaults I would change

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

There are no real differences in assembly constraints. If you are getting an assembly constraint error - that bothers me as this is absolutely, completely logic. No different than SolidWorks. Attach the assembly here so that I can see what is going on.

When you run into trouble - attach your part or assembly here.

Nice to see you jumping in. I am sure after a few weeks you will find your way. I had the same issues learning Solidworks after using Inventor for 10 years, basically the same program only a few name changes and commands in different places.:)

I'm trying to jump in. After posting this topic, I haven't had any time to get back into it. I did find a bunch of videos that I can watch and there's a site that's offering a package for less than $100 for the full course. I've watched a few and they are really well done.

I'll post a file soon to see if I'm getting it or not. Should have something by this weekend.

Interesting you can get a course for $100. In the Uk a beginner course for 8 Days in Inventor cost £2000 must be around $3300. I would ask what is covered in that course;)

Or you can do like I did...search for Inventor tutorials ... there's loads of them out there on the Internet. Watch (the ones on youtube at least), read and study until your eyes are tired and red. Then practice, practice, practice with what you've learned and keep at it. This forum will always have people willing to help with the parts you don't get. Taking a class is an option but the costs are often prohibitive for working people like us.

The $100 is for access to a site with loads of videos from the same dude. It's not a formal class or anything, and I'm sure it doesn't count as "official" autodesk training.

The $100 is for access to a site with loads of videos from the same dude. It's not a formal class or anything, and I'm sure it doesn't count as "official" autodesk training.

I understand now :) I was thinking it was a little cheap :lol: