looking for a stand alone GIS mapping software (desk top, or server based)

Decker

Hi I am a new drafter at a small Geotechnical Engineering/Consulting firm, and have been given the task of building a "Project locator" aka a data base that allows the project engineer/manager to look up jobs that have been completed in an area. This program must not only have maps, and the ability to mark location. It also needs the ability to store misc. data that can be seen visually I.E. this area shaded in green has sandy clays material, and so forth. The software should also be able to some extent work well with AutoCad (2014) because I will be importing (most likely copy paste images) files into the drawing. Something along the lines of a Google maps/Earth style would be nice since that is what is use currently. I have searched for days, and have came up with a few programs (Maptitude, Bentley Map V8i, and Manifold GIS) that I am unsure if they would work out well. Sorry about the wall of text. I have never done anything like this before. I figured with the vast knowledge of the collective on this forum maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Scott

Edited by Decker
spacing issues

AutoCAD Map 3D as BIGAL stated. It's not cheap but a lot cheaper than a lot other programs when you add in all that it does. It allows you to store data in a number of formats and have it attached to objects and then theme the objects based on the data. It also imports and export to a number of GIS formats in case some one with E$RI wants to use it. As for working well with AutoCAD, it's built on top of AutoCAD so everything in AutoCAD is in MAP3D.

Any questions on it or how to use it ask away.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Take a look to Spatial Manager Desktop and Spatial Manager for AutoCAD. Perhaps do no meet all your expectations but please give a try. Thank you

http://www.spatialmanager.com/

Disclaimer: I work for Opencartis SL, developer of Spatial Manager™ products suite