Coordinate help

emac661

New to the mapping side of Cad. I have Map 3D 2010. I have a drawing with township and range lines as well as section lines drawn. Included in that drawing is our water distribution system and easements. What i am trying to do is correctly place that system spatially.

For instance I looked up the NW corner of a specific section on our counties GIS site and it gave me these coordinates: 35.1231020, -119.3407611.

How do I plot that point in Map 3d? I was planning on plotting that point and then moving my T/R lines to match that point.

If i am confusing or too vague please let me know.

Thanks all.

-Mac

Sure thats not a lat & long

Sorry, sir, but I guess that's definetely a Lat/Long pair, more exactly it's a point in Kern county (California).

The minus sign means "West of Greenwich"...

smile.gif

Edited by Emigrato

• 3 months later...
New to the mapping side of Cad. I have Map 3D 2010. I have a drawing with township and range lines as well as section lines drawn. Included in that drawing is our water distribution system and easements. What i am trying to do is correctly place that system spatially.

For instance I looked up the NW corner of a specific section on our counties GIS site and it gave me these coordinates: 35.1231020, -119.3407611.

How do I plot that point in Map 3d? I was planning on plotting that point and then moving my T/R lines to match that point.

If i am confusing or too vague please let me know.

Thanks all.

-Mac

Are you in Alberta ? Township and Range leads me to believe you are working within the Dominion Land Survey system. I know this is an older post but if you have future help i can give you a hand. I work exclusively in this area. Hope all is well none the less.

Are you in Alberta ? Township and Range leads me to believe you are working within the Dominion Land Survey system. I know this is an older post but if you have future help i can give you a hand. I work exclusively in this area. Hope all is well none the less.

The Township and Range is used south of the border too. The legal desc of a few acre the wife owns starts out as Town and Range, Section and subsection NE 1/4 of SSW 1/4 etc then ends up using metes and bounds.

The Township and Range is used south of the border too. The legal desc of a few acre the wife owns starts out as Town and Range, Section and subsection NE 1/4 of SSW 1/4 etc then ends up using metes and bounds.

Hey Murph, good to see you are still hammering around this neck of the woods!!!

Interesting it goes that far south i knew that it trickled down into the American midwest too, i shouldn't have been so quick to assume i suppose. Didn't know to how far of an extent it travelled south though.

Hey Murph, good to see you are still hammering around this neck of the woods!!!

Interesting it goes that far south i knew that it trickled down into the American midwest too, i shouldn't have been so quick to assume i suppose. Didn't know to how far of an extent it travelled south though.

Most of it is west of the Mississippi and runs down to the gulf, there was a few places in Ohio and I think New Jersey and Pennsylvania . I thought it started down here after the great survey and moved north.