Automating with Inventor using .NET

Bill Tillman

We're about to tackle some new projects around here. I have convinced the decision makers to let us try using Inventor instead of SolidWorks.

The first project will be automating the creation of some assembly drawings which will consist of a frame (sometimes not made of the same extrusions on all four sides) and parts, etc...placed on this frame either by bolting or welding. The frames will be either aluminum or steel.

What we're looking to do is to create the assembly drawing and have it run structural calcs which will allow Inventor to select the proper size reinforcement members, (i.e. channels or bars, which ever calcs and keeps the price down).

I think we have the correct team of people with engineering experience to handle this. But I'm worried that the AutoDesk reseller is over selling Inventor's capabilities. So will Inventor be able to do this, and more so, when the calcs are run by Inventor, what backup will we have to show to some of our PE's that the calcs are being done according to their requirements. In other words, will we have some way of viewing and/or printing out the calcs? I'm thinking we'll also use either VB or C# in Visual Studio to talk to Inventor. The user will simply put some information into a form which will then activate an instance of Inventor and run from there. We will also one day want to create 3D models with this process.

Lots more to come on this one. It's going to be a real humdinger if we can pull it off.