I'm going crazy

BarbM

Where can I find concise and well illustrated explanation(s) for styling sections and section views? Why are there soooo many windows and edit options for soooo many variations of a simple cross section view?

Where are you in the world different locations have prefered illustrations for cross and long. Here we use 2 mainly urban streets and rural roads.

Edited by BIGAL

Thank you for your reply. I am in the state of Iowa, USA. (are you anywhere near Albany, WA? Very good friend lives there -we skyped last night)

The section has been created and run along the corridor. I'm prepping to create cross sections sheets, but styling the cross section (section view) has been tedious and not completely successful. I know what I want it to look like! But data bands, links, code points all contribute to the appearance in non-intuitive ways, so I'm struggling. I'm looking for good illustrations of what affects what. I get about a 50% success rate with the Help menu. A search for section view, in Civil 3D mind you, gave me info on a *mechanical* section view! Argh!

I would go back to who sold you the 2014 and ask for there help in setting up the correct styles they may have them already they only need to send you a dwg and you can copy them out. I would expect they should have a dwt with lots of stuff set up in it, if no success ask nicely here someone will help, as we are in AUS our styles are probably not what is required.

PS Albany is 3,848 km away Australia is that big we travelled it recently and covered 18,000+ km

Thanks for your reply. The vendor has a template but of course they charge for it and being a local government entity we didn't spend the money to acquire it.

I'll figure it out; it's just a lot of hit and miss.

• 1 month later...

Do a google search for free styles and you will find quite a lot.

The first time is always tedious setting up styles.

It does get easier I swear :)

Jerry - thanks for the tip. I am working my way through this, but it's a big time waster. I'm in municipal government, with no $$ to spare. One of my problems was the software wasn't recognizing the C3D help menu, but I got that fixed, which is a big help in terms of way more info and better illustrations. But I like your tip and will check it out. Thanks Again!!

Sure!

Also I just found a great one today - check out http://www.dot.state.fl.us/ecso/downloads/publications/civil3dworkflows/

They have a free Civil 3d kit which if I understand correctly has allot of styles and

custom assemblys with it.

And its free so you cant beat that.

FWIW -

As one of the Beta testers for the FDOT Civil 3D State Kit since 2010 (on C3D 2011), I can tell you that there are a lot of additional settings, and configuration that are added with that installer. Be mindful that you do not inadvertently complicate, or otherwise damage your own municipality's standards in templates, etc. when using the supplied FDOT utilities.

The 'review comments' I last submitted for FDOT's consideration prior to their 2014 release was 14 pages long, and it only covered session start (i.e., flaws, and duplication of code in Acad.lsp, AcadDoc.lsp, etc. that they copied from others without attribution), and their CUI components (primarily how poorly they implemented their custom RibbonTab elements via .NET assemblies).

Edited by BlackBox

Thanks for the link Jerry I've got it bookmarked and will check it out.

Squirltech, thanks so much for reaching out; I knew that title would catch some attention :)