3D, Block Editor, and 'command not allowed'

43st

Are there any workarounds for using the block editor with 3D objects? Maybe a 3rd party app or something that unblocks the locked out commands?

The problem is that you can't change the UCS or the view in the block editor. You can use orbit oddly enough, but not view. I was hoping there was a similar trick to change the UCS.

Currently the best method I've found is to copy the block contents, go back to model space and make the updates, then copy them back into the block. (which is an awful solution to be honest, because if the UCS is different you can't even rotate the object to the correct orientation)

The block editor is fixed as far as the UCS is concerned, you can change the viewpoint and get at objects in 3D space but there is no way to change the UCS, if you only want to move things about then using 3D coordinates is abouit the only option you have, I think your best bet is doing as you do now copying stuff out and then back into the editor, or exploding and then redefining the block, it all depends on what exactly you are trying to do. But the block editor is basically a completely different drawing environment than model space.

Use "Edit Block In-Place" right-click option instead of the full block editor. You'll lose the ability to use "isolate/hide" commands when compared to the full block editor, but at least you'll have the ability to rotate the UCS.

I think it's weird that, in the full block editor, in order to draw a simple rectangle in something other than a world x,y-plane, you have to first draw it in an x,y-plane anyway, then rotate it, then position it...because you can't rotate the UCS. If the problem was 3D agreement between the the block editor space and model space, couldn't Autodesk have just provided an auto-message upon trying to save and leave the full block editor like "You must first return the UCS to world coordinates". UCS rotation is the way 3D AutoCAD modeling is taught now, so it's a strange artificial limitation.

Use "Edit Block In-Place" right-click option instead of the full block editor. You'll lose the ability to use "isolate/hide" commands when compared to the full block editor, but at least you'll have the ability to rotate the UCS.

This is perfect.. I totally forgot about that option. Thanks.