Question about object alignment

RedRex

Hi gang,

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.

Is there a way to align more than 2 objects either horizontally or vertically? I've used the ALIGN command and I can't get it to work. I get a message that says something like: "all 3 destination points are colinear".

I can get it to work if I'm just aligning two objects.

For instance, say you have four boxes, scattered around model space, and you want to align the left edge of three of them to the left edge of the fourth box, without moving them vertically. In other words, can you "left justify" all four boxes?

Thanks!

Have you tried just moving the boxes? With the correct choice of Osnaps, it is simple (think Intersection).

I use Align when I want to move, rotate and scale in one go.

The ALIGN command is not meant to be used in this way, as you need to supply a minimum of 2 points each as source and destination for each alignment.

It is meant to align a PAIR of objects.

Have you tried just moving the boxes? With the correct choice of Osnaps, it is simple (think Intersection).

I use Align when I want to move, rotate and scale in one go.

I have the object snap/snap tracking setup properly so it works well in that manner, but what about when there are a dozen items to align?

Align or 3d align. Attach your dwg file here if you can't figure it out.

Thanks, but I have no file. It was just something I was messing around with last night.

The ALIGN command is not meant to be used in this way, as you need to supply a minimum of 2 points each as source and destination for each alignment.

It is meant to align a PAIR of objects.

Thanks. That's what I was starting to suspect.

.... but what about when there are a dozen items to align?

It does not take very long, even doing it one at a time. Your mouse gets into a good rhythm :D