Copy to clipboard fialied error and can't find a fix

rbranstner

I'm working in a dwg file and all of a sudden I get an error saying "Copy to clipboard failed" when I'm drying to do a Control C or right click then copy. Some layers work just fine and some you can't copy. I was working in this dwg file just fine for a few days then all of a sudden it started doing this. We have multiple machines running AutoCAD 3D 2010, AutoCAD LT 2013 and AutoCAD LT 2010 and they all do the same thing. This is the only file that we are having this issue with. I tried deleting the file and pulling the original file back out of my email but it still does the same thing. I've read through other posts where people have been able to do a "Purge" or an "Audit" command and it has been fixed but that doesn't seem to work.

Like I said it worked fine for about three days then I started doing some Query commands on that file and I don't know if I screwed something up by attaching and not detaching my query (someone told me that could screw things up) or the fact that I just upgraded to 2013 LT last week as well. Funny thing is all the other people who didn't upgrade have the same issue as me. Any suggestions? Do I just try to get the city engineer to resend the dwg file to me and see what happens?

I could see all of your visitor messages but I couldn't find a spot to send you a message. I added you as a friend and hopefully that will work.

Copy to clipboard can be affected in a file that was not properly exported to an earlier version. "Save As" to an earlier version does not properly convert some objects. Check with the source of the file to find out if this may be the cause.

I can isolate the problem to four layers all of which have proxy objects associated with them. I can make the problem disappear on three of the layers but not the remaining one. The layer name is WF_roads_ndsp_clip.

No I do not.

I found something that may have worked but I have to see if it is repeatable. I did a DXFOUT to r12 file format. Tested only once however. Will try to duplicate momentarily.

OK...I did get it to work a second time but FYI... neither attempt was done using the original drawing file. I used one I had experimented on using the -Purge, Audit, and Overkill commands. I also exploded proxy objects on three out of the four layers then saved the drawing. At that point I did a DXFOUT/DXFIN to the r12 file format.

Edited by ReMark
explained my technique as crude as it was

My finished drawing comes in at 1.53MB versus your original file of 4.28MB. I am able to copy and paste it to a new drawing but I have to use 0,0,0 as my basepoint on both ends (your drawing>copy and my drawing>paste). No proxy objects left in my drawing.

After many emails back and forth between ReMark he was able to make some changes and clean up the original file and send it back to me and it works now. I could try and explain what he did but it's all over my head. Thanks ReMark!!!!