• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darrellk-1

• ReMark

• Tuns

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For future consideration. When you create any object whether it is a new linetype, a block (dynamic or not) or a model always test using a copy never the original.

Why are you even running tests on the original and not a copy? Didn't you think beforehand that it might be a pain to create it again and again?

Tuns, I am very new to the dynamic block process and until rkent explained how to save it to a block folder, I couldn't get back to the original anywhere. So...I was having to create the block over and over. Thanks for you help though. I have been using AutoCAD since 2002 but am mostly self-taught until I bought 2014 LT and purchased the DVD from Infinite Skills. I was going through the dynamic block part and got stuck. Thanks again.

Do you know how to save a block (using the WBlock command) to a specific folder using the Browse button? This is a must know skill in my opinion for any AutoCAD user.

WriteBlockSave.JPG

Browse button, far right, circled. Path in this example is C:\MyBlocks

I started with 2002 AutoCAD as well, though I have only been using the product for a year or so. I recently upgraded to 2014 LT and I had to teach myself how to use it as well. I didn't use a DVD or anything, I just played around with it a bit and read threads on this forum until I figured it out.

Tuns, I am very new to the dynamic block process and until rkent explained how to save it to a block folder, I couldn't get back to the original anywhere. So...I was having to create the block over and over. Thanks for you help though. I have been using AutoCAD since 2002 but am mostly self-taught until I bought 2014 LT and purchased the DVD from Infinite Skills. I was going through the dynamic block part and got stuck. Thanks again.
Congrats on working hard to learn some new stuff. You'll get plenty of help here.

I must say I am puzzled that you would have to recreate the block even once, much less over and over. Whenever you create a block, that definition is in the DWG you are working in. That means you should be able to INSERT it over and over again in that drawing. You could lose it by QUITing the drawing without ever SAVEing or by UNDOing through your creation of the block. Did you do something like that to lose it?

In addition, you can copy and paste an INSERTed block from one DWG to another via Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, or even Shift-Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. The latter combo lets you control the basepoint. You just need to have the drawings open to do this. Of course, this sort of copying is not limited to just blocks.

ReMark, yes on Write Block and thanks so much. The issue was I didn't have the Block Editor set to save into my Block files. I am not sure where it was being saved, but where ever it was I couldn't find it again which caused me to recreate it each time. rkent's comment solved the issue by walking me through the "Save As" which I didn't even notice was there. Now it works properly, and is in a file I can access as well.

I did post the simple file that I was working on, now that it is where I can find it! LOL

N Arrow Dynamic.dwg

neophoile - thanks, yes I have been working with CAD for 12 years, but just had not needed or tried to do a dynamic block. A training DVD walked me through the creation but completely missed telling me how to save it so I could find it again. I do commercial kitchens and I DO use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V a LOT and have an extensive library of custom blocks also (just not dynamic ones).

BTW - Love the "When all you have is a hammer" quote! LOL, indeed!

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys!!

Great information here!! If I could add one more issue I have. I create dynamic blocks on my computer and they work fine, I go to install on my bosses computer and his computer does not recognize dynamic blocks at all, not even the from the autocad tool palettes. Is there a setting turned off?

W

• 1 month later...