Problem Converting Surface Model to Solid Model

ADRowe

Hey All,

I am working on a 3D model of a pool floor for a project that to be supported by walls.

I have just started to use surface modelling and I thought I would give it a go using it, when I have gone to convert it to a 3D solid using the sculpt tool I get the error message "Modeling Operation Error: Operation did not add or remove material. Solid creation failed, no watertight volume detected." I am well a wear of what this means but I can't find the gap/hole anywhere.

If you could help me out in locating them it would be much appreciated, also any tips and trick to surface modelling would be also appreciated.

3D model is attached.

Pool Floor2.dwg

I wonder if they "holes" could somehow be patched? I don't work with surfaces much but I believe forum member JD Mather does. Maybe he can suggest a viable solution.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I have a problem with converting surface to solid. Initially I had a STAAD file with geometry, which I converted to 3d faces to surface. Problem is, surface consists of thousands of small regions, which I don't know how to merge. When I try to convert this surface into solid, Autocad tells me "Mesh not converted because it is not closed or it self-intersects". I know that I can extract solid from cube or something, but model made like this won't work in ANSYS, where I have to put it next. Anyone knows how to get a smooth one-piece (without small triangles) model out of this? Thank you in advance!

P.S. sorry for URL, model is 7,3Mb, too large to upload it here: http://goo.gl/qDwOXd

olique: In the future please start a new thread. It is considered bad form to hijack a thread started by someone else.

It sounds like you have some problems with your mesh if it is not closed and it self-intersects.

Yes, a 7,3MB file is too large to upload here. You could try to zip it.

Thank you! I thought that same topic means I can continue the conversation, didn't mean to hijack anything :) I tried to zip it and got 6,3 Mb, which is still too large. Yes, I am aware that there is some kind of problem, but I don't know what to do with that (which is why I wrote a post here). I can't change geometry, since it is a real model, which I am to test.

Your only hope then is that someone here will follow your link, download your model and see if they can convert it from a surface to a solid. You'll just have to be patient.