Annoying lines appear between points when translated to R12 DXF

Treehugger

I have a GIS package that requires me to convert clients DWGs to R12/DXF so that it can be uploaded to a handheld device. However when I translate the DXF across to my handheld device the points (e.g. tree positions, lamp posts, manhole positions etc.) appear connected by lines.

Has anyone got any idea of what is causing this and how I might get them to appear as discreet points?

Thanks

Regards

Max

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Treehugger

• eldon

• ReMark

• Murph_map

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No

The client sent a drawing showing tree positions marked as circles which would not translate across.

I added points to the centre of each circle using the POINT command and beefed them up using the DDPTYPE command and choosing a crossed circle and setting a size and making it relative.

When it appear on my handheld device all points are connected with lines.

Would it be possible for you to replace the POINTs with blocks and then converting the new drawing as DXF.

Are you converting a newer version drawing to release 12? If so you may want to step down (ie: 2014 to 2010 to 2007 to 2002 to R14 to R12) Actually it doesn't take that many steps just an example. I have run into odd problems when converting 2013 dwgs to R14, I had success when I converted first to 2009 (or 2007) then to R14. Good luck

Thanks for your prompt responses guys. Much appreciated.

a3dtot: could you spell out what you mean by replacing points with blocks please (apologies my cad skills are extremely limited so I need spoon feeding).

I will try the stepping down approach too. I am currently using 2010.

Cheers

It would be interesting if you could post a snippet of your drawing.

I am quite baffled as to how a point can be "beefed up". A point is a point, especially as it is being output as a DXF. It is only for a visual advantage to use ddptype. How did you place the point? was it manually or by using a lisp?

Yes I think you are correct. But I do not know how to stop the stringing. Other points such as levels appear normally which is baffling!

To save us guessing, is it possible for you to post a drawing containing a few items from each layer? Or even the DXF file.

Someone then might see the problem, if there is a problem with the drawing in AutoCAD.

Please find attached.

The levels marked with crosses translate across to the handheld device just fine but the circles showing tree positions appear as a joined up line.

x1.dxf

You have a problem between client's drawing and your handheld device.

There are several processes between and it is a matter of isolating where the problem occurs.

Perhaps the GIS process has peculiarities that have to be obeyed.

As far as AutoCAD is concerned, there are no lines joining up the circles.

For the stepping down you would need to have earlier versions. Sorry I didn't mention that before. I have all the way down to 2005. Just for that reason.

Blocks or wblocks are a group of objects or a single object that can be made with an insert point and can be inserted into any drawing. Once it is inserted

all the items that have been blocked together stay together as one entity.

The best for you seems to be to wblock and save the file to a library that you could use to store your symbols, marking, etc. The wblock allows you to create

a "write" block (it creates a file of the block that you have created and can be stored for multiple uses.)

Type in "WBLOCK" at the command prompt and dialog box will appear and input the required information.

To insert the wblock just type in insert at the command prompt and find the file (block) you want to insert.

You could see if you could find some tutorials on block creation. It's a quick learn.

I suggest this because it may be the points converting that is causing some of the difficulty. I haven't used points in many years so I'm not sure if they have any new features.