GT 640 3gb DDR3 graphics card....? Anybody use one....?

wee

Local retailer has a nice off the shelf system for under a grand.....It comes with the Nvidia GT640 3gb DDR3 graphics card.... I know the Quadro cards are better but the boss won't spring for a $2000 plus system. Below are the system specs. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Operating System

Genuine Windows 8

CPU

Intel® Core™ i7-4770

Chipset

Intel® H87

Graphic

Nvidia GT640 3GB DDR3

Memory

16GB

at 1600MHz

4 x DIMM

Storage

2TB SATA hard drive (7200rpmRPM)

Brian

Quadros aren't necessarily better anymore.

That computer is nicely spec'd but for the same amount of money you can get a few parts tweaked and it be a top performer. The only thing really missing from this spec list is a kick@$$ SSD. Throw that in there and you got a rockin' system, with a legit copy of Windows.

I concure with tzframpton. Get a SSD for the OS drive and it will rock.

I went from a 660ti to a newer K4000 and there is a small difference but not enough for the money.

My current work computer a copy of your spec, it has a combo SSD/platter drive and it is quick.

Auto saves are a blink of the eye.

Good Luck

I bought a 256GB SSD and it's plenty for my use. I have a server that all non local data is stored. I bought a Samsung 840 ProSeries and it's lightning fast. Definitely changed my life. I'll never get another computer without an SSD ever again.

EDIT: Here's a link to my purchase:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

Edited by tzframpton