Down grade utilities or drawing sources or any advice

Bilbo

... So have your son download and install the latest version and you could teach him how to use it.;)

Or perhaps the other way around. :lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bilbo

• JD Mather

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, JD, having worked in a surveying crew I know my compass directions.

You're as bad as me at times when it comes to being direct and you see the flack I get.

Edited by ReMark

No, JD, having worked in a surveying crew I know my compass directions.

I wasn't referring to your hot air directions.

And what is bad about being direct?

I wish someone would give me a $100k tip.

ReMark,

There are trolls living under every forum.

Ignore them and they get tired and go where they can get a response.

Thank you so much for your insights and patience.

The resident troll is not the first to poke at my verbosity (and amongst the least original) and I'm sure he won't be the last.

I'm curious to know if you have a share somewhere that the DXF might be uploadable and accessable to me?

How about a $1 tip? It's all I can afford since I just saw what Uncle Sam wants me to send him.

JD is not a troll; he's just.....ah......JD. What can I say. His advice is sound but his delivery was off today. Maybe because the state he lives in just experienced an ice storm. Maybe he hasn't warmed up yet.

Upload the DXF? Jeez, I'll have to recreate it. I deleted it! LoL

Bilbo: Let me try something first. Give me a few minutes. I'll be back.8)

OK, I'm back. I managed to get the file size down to approximately 25MB. That's the best I can do. Do you utilize any file sharing websites? Ex. - Dropbox.

Edited by ReMark

while it appears correct, (obviously), there is indeed a Student program atAutodesk.

And it is certainly true that if you qualify, you can get a ton ofincredible software on 36 month licenses.

HOWEVER, It does NOT appear to be correct that "Any student over theage of 11 anywhere in the world can download"

I assume some may consider "secondary" school to be broad enoughto include anything but elementary school, apparently, Autodesk does not.

The system will automatically exclude from eligibility, any age which wouldnot currently be enrolled in High school.

E.G. roughly 13.5 and older.

Bilbo: I just sent off an email to you. I hope it makes it through. If for some reason it doesn't show up then I have another option at my disposal.

Update:

Email failed to get through. File size way too large. Can't try the other option until tomorrow (Sunday). Please be patient as I have not given up yet.

ReMark

Edited by ReMark

Oops, looks like they have changed the terms since last I looked.

Eligibility.jpg

You might check into some of their partner programs like First Robotics or SkillsWorld. Volunteer to set up something at a local school. © an Autodesk-sponsored design competition mentor.

I know I have seen a lot of younger students come through my lab.

Maybe a friend who is a couple of years older? They could learn together.

Also, the student (or faculty or mentor) can download each new release for a new 3-yr license, so in effect, they have perpetual access to the latest design software as long as they meet the eligibility.

Edited by JD Mather

Bilbo:

I've sent you a link to download the DXF file from Dropbox. I sent the link to two out of the three email addresses you provided me on Saturday. It would be nice to know if you have successfully download the file. You can either update me here or via email.

ReMark

hi ReMark,

Thanks,

I just got the one to the v- address.

if you sent to the bilb0, you may have sent it to bilbO by accident.

it is bilb(zero) not capitol O.

But, I did get it and attempting to open it now.

THANKS!

Bilb0 not BilbO? My bad.

Well at least the one to the v- address made it through. Thanks for getting back to me.

Let us know if you can actually open the DXF file.

Yes, that is correct. I would expect Loft to be a good command to have access to if one were to create a car in AutoCAD. As r12 does not have it but a more recent version would it might be in the OP's best interest to consider either upgrading his version of AutoCAD (still an expensive proposition) or moving to an AutoCAD clone like Bricscad.

Do other companies, like Dassault, have minimum age limits for software they make available to students? Perhaps Solidworks would be a viable alternative.

thanks ReMark,

The DXF opened right up in r12!

I seem to be having a graphicsproblem though.

Even with my older drawings, Ican't seem to get the screen to draw unless I select an item, which, if youcan't see them, means I have to do a window select and then ALL the objects getredrawn, which, for this DXF (now saved as a dwg) takes a very long time.

I don't remember having anygraphics problem with this though in the past.

However, when this was installed,it made use of the original graphics resolution at the time which was on an old4:3 sony CRT.

Now I'm on dual 16:9 Samsung bothrunning at 1080x1920.

I'll hunt and peck and see if Ican figure out what the deal is.

Re: newer versions (verbosewarning):

My son and I have done quite a bitof stop motion animation using AnimatorHD and his mountain of Legos.

Legos has offered some type of 3dmodeling software for making movies without having to use cameras and realphysical Legos, just doing it all virtually.

He's wanted to try it but I wasalways reluctant because the interface is really dumbed down and very proprietary(aimed exclusively at Legos).

The last stop motion project hedid, he worked on it with one of his Boy Scout buddies who happens to have justturned 13.

I did notice Autodesk does havewhat looks like some very cool youth oriented applications I am reasonably surethey would enjoy. I’ll talk with themabout it. And if interested, maybe they’dlike to take a shot at AutoCAD Mechanical to create some objects for use in theirmovies.

As for our car project, I wonderif there are any cool tools one can use to create 3d objects from photos.

I’ve seen and used some prettyneat software where you can take several pictures of something and make a 3dview of it, but it is not necessarily making actual objects that could beopened/imported to AutoCAD.

Anybody know of anything likethis?

Yes, AutoDesk has an app that will allow one to take multiple digital photos and create a point cloud that can be brought into AutoCAD. The problem for you is r12 does not support the use of point clouds.

And if interested, maybe they’d like to take a shot at AutoCAD Mechanical to create some objects for use in their movies.

AutoCAD Mechanical is a 2D program (and AutoCAD).

AutoCAD cannot do the types of mechanical animation and physical dynamics (gravity, friction, forces....) that can be done in Autodesk Inventor.

well, somehow I find it almost impossible to beleive AutoCAD 2014 cannot do something that AutoCAD r12 can.

I'm not entirely sure what or how ether one of these gets designated as 2d or 3d applications.

I know I can draw, rotate and set 3d views and render perspetives into the Z axis all day long in r12.

I bet I could do the same in AutoCAD 2014.

I am curious to know though, if one can do all that, into the Z Axis, what earns it the 2d designation as opposed to other apps that are considered 3d?

besides, for our project, I'm not even sure why I would need to make mechanical animations of apply physical dynamics anyway.

Its not like I'm designing a brand new car from the ground up?

All the parts already exist. There will be a little customization, but the materials for that are already known and exist in the real world.

I'm not trying to be flip about it, but I've already done most of the same type of thing in r12 for other projects.

Is there something I'm missing here?

...I know I can draw, rotate and set 3d views and render perspetives into the Z axis all day long in r12.

I had to go back and read the previous post again. I didn't understand that all you were after were static rendered images. (especially since you mentioned AutoCAD Mechanical)

Inventor Studio is included in Autodesk Inventor.