Drawing a title block

12barbeque

Are you going to be using this drawing as an AutoCAD template eventually? A template (file type: dwt) is what is loaded when you start a drawing. A template can contain your title block and border along with such things as your favorite linetypes, text styles and layer information just to name a few.

In the past title blocks and borders, along with all geometry, text and dimensions, were placed in model space. At some point though AutoDesk introduced paper space and recommended that users put their title blocks and border in there instead. But what about all the geometry back in model space? How would we see it? Well that's where paper space viewports came into play. A viewport is a window that let's us see what we have created back in model space.

Now my question to you is, will you place your title block and border in model space or in your paper space layout?

not sure, I'm assuming in paper space. This is the Oleson village project. I'm having difficulties drawing the title block, It asks to activate the trim layer which I had to create at this stage since there was no mentioning of creating a trim layer earlier in the project. it asks to draw using the line command a 24x36 landscape border for trimming how do I do this? I'm in model space

You should have mentioned the Penn-Foster Oleson Village project up front. I am familiar with the project. Give me a moment to check something and I'll be right back.

I'm baaaaaack.

As I thought. Your title block and border will be drawn in model space not in paper space. Apparently Penn-Foster has yet to instruct its students in the use of paper space and viewports and is still doing their projects "old school" meaning everything is placed in model space.

Your will create a layer called TRIM. The linetype will be Dashed and the color will be red. You will draw a rectangle 36 units long by 24 units wide. This in effect is the extents of your paper. Your title block and border will be drawn with the limits defined by the dashed line. When you have done everything required then P-F wants you to scale the title block and border (including the dashed "Trim" line) until it is of a size that will fit comfortably around the extents of Oleson village. You'll know you have the right size when the "Trim" edge measures 1800x1200 units. Got all that?

Sorry, but I have to go now. There are several Oleson Village threads here in the Student Project forum many of which contain images that might prove helpful to you. I will check this thread early Sunday morning to see if you had further questions. That is the best I can do for the moment.

ReMark

I'm really stumped on this project. I don't think I'm doing this right. I attached what I have done so far can u give me some feed back on it.

ReMark is really the guy for PF feedback, as he knows the course matter a lot better than the instructors.

I took a look in Modelspace, and did a ZOOM to EXTENTS and found that you have 3 issues which are well removed from the main drawing area.

After zooming to extents, you can use CTRL + A to select all objects. This will highlight wherever there are Grips in Modelspace.

Zoom in on those areas and see what those objects are, and think about where they might be meant to be, if they are needed at all,

or just virtual flotsam to be erased.

First ones I noticed were 3 sidewalk lines in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

If you erase those and Zoom again to Extents you will find another issue in the lower left hand corner.

Keep locating , identifying and dealing with these outlying bits. When you are through, if you Zoom Extents you should

see only the part of the drawing upon which you mean to be working, that bounded by your Trim rectangle.

I just checked and see that your TRIM rectangle is sized to comply with ReMark's suggestion, 1800x1200 units, so that is good.

I am not sure why your linetype scale is set to 10,000,000, and I don't typically work in this field, but that seems pretty large.

Do yourself a favor and search in the student forum for OLESON VILLAGE, per ReMark's suggestion, you will find lots of

similar threads and many in depth responses, most of which will be by ReMark, you might want to bookmark that link, as you

will more than likely want to return to it again.

Edited by Dadgad

12bar:

Your linetype scale should be 50 not 10 million. Not sure how you arrived at that number. Make the change and you'll see the difference immediately.

The symbol for the benchmark is drawn incorrectly.

All of your R.O.W. (streetlines) are drawn at the wrong angle.

All of your trees are located incorrectly; you also have three extra trees in the area of the buffer on the south side of Oleson Village.

Lots 1, 2 and 3 do not line up correctly with each other nor do they line up correctly with the streetline of SW 85th Avenue.

Lots 7 & 8 do not line up correctly with each other nor do they line up correctly with the streetline of SW Village Lane.

Cul-de-sac on SW 85th Avenue is not drawn correctly. The ends of your arcs overlap each other when they should actually meet up.

The streetline to streetline R.O.W. of SW Village Lane is supposed to be 50 feet. Your distance measures 62.42 feet. That's a difference of over 12 feet.

The streetline to streetline R.O.W. of SW Davies Road is supposed to be 40 feet. Your distance measures 52.19 feet. That's a difference of over 12 feet.

The streetline to streetline R.O.W. of SW 85th Avenue is supposed to be 50 feet. Your distance measures 42.50 feet. That's a difference of 7.5 feet.

The curbline, planting area and sidewalk are supposed to fall within the streetline R.O.W. The same objects in your drawing straddle the streetline.

The yellow line representing the border of your drawing overlaps some of the village geometry. This is not a good practice. The village should be more or less centered within the space available after you have added the title block across the bottom (which you have neglected to include).

I am sorry to say but you have so many things wrong with your drawing I would recommend starting over as it would take too long to correct each of the items above. I'll review some of the threads about this project and attach links to the ones I think would help you the most. This may take a while so check back in 20-30 minutes. ReMark

The first thread I recommend would be this one...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?75731-Penn-Foster-Student-Suffering-with-Oleson-Village-Map!!! The first nine or ten pages will be the most valuable to you although it probably wouldn't hurt to quickly skim the remainder.

Post #70 of this thread explains how to draw the benchmark symbol. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?70055-Penn-Foster-Oleson-Village/page7

Page 8 of the same thread shows how to lay out the boundary of the village, some of the lot lines, and the R.O.W./cul-de-sac for SW 85th Avenue.

Page 10 of the same thread, post #91, shows how to lay out lots 4, 5 and 6.

I think I'll stop at this point. The two threads I have called your attention to should be sufficient for the time being. If you have further questions come back and ask. I'll try to check in on this thread later on today (Sunday) but I can't promise when that will be exactly. Good luck.

Edited by ReMark

Hello Remark,

Ok I redid my drawing up to the 24x36 landscape border for trimming with border inside section. I did have a little better understanding of it this time around. I attached the new drawing. If I can get any feed back on this one and some pointers on the border it would be greatly appreciated.

Oleson-Village1A.dwg

Lots 7 & 8 - You have two property lines drawn one on top of the other. You only need one line since it is a shared property line. These two lots also don't appear to be in the right location. Isn't there a 40 foot buffer between the east side of lot #8 and the streetline of SW Oleson Road? Your buffer is something closer to 51 feet.

All your trees seem to be off by the same amount. Have you gotten to the point in the instructions where you are instructed to move the trees due to a surveying error?

The curbline, planting area (parking strip?) and sidewalk all belong between the street R.O.W. lines. See post #66 and #67 of this thread http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?75731-Penn-Foster-Student-Suffering-with-Oleson-Village-Map!!!/page7 Note that the Penn-Foster instructions are wrong and should not be followed. If your instructor marks you down for doing it right have him come here and I'll explain it to him.

You continue to have overlapping lines in the three areas circled in red below.

OverlappingLines.JPG

In the future, do not attach a copy of your drawing (DWG) unless requested to do so. Attach an image (JPG or PNG) instead. Why? Because other Penn-Foster students, in the future, may decide to "borrow" your drawing thus saving themselves a lot of time and effort.

Edited by ReMark

Hello Remark,

Ok I redid my drawing up to the 24x36 landscape border for trimming with border inside section. I did have a little better understanding of it this time around. I attached the new drawing. If I can get any feed back on this one and some pointers on the border it would be greatly appreciated.

As per ReMark's suggestion about not posting your drawing, I believe that you can EDIT your post and remove the attachment, using the manage attachments link which you used to upload it.