Is this type of plane possible?

mediopolis

In the browser bar on the left side of the screen, expand the sheet out, and find the view that's showing the surface. Within that view, find the model, and expand that out, then the folder called "Surface Bodies." Right click on the surface (probably Srf1) and un-check "visibility."

Shortcut: shift+right click, and choose "feature priority." Select the surface in the view, then right click and pick "find in browser." That'll open up all the way to Srf1 (actually one level beyond that, but you'll still see Srf1). Right click, turn off visibility. Afterwards, remember to shift+right click and go back to "faces and edges," or you'll be really frustrated when you go to lay down some dimensions.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mediopolis

• Bishop

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! Take a look at this, When i put the part on a drawing, it shows my middle channel with 2" on one end and 1.97" on the other. But both sketches that i used to make the loft are measured exactly. Any thoughts?

[ATTACH]Loft Part File[/ATTACH]

Figured it out. I needed to add some rails using the 3d sketch. That solved that small glitch

bs01_top_v1_48x1.75.ipt

Edited by mediopolis

JD, that is the exact method i ended up using.

Guys, take a look at this. i am trying to figure out the length of the wood pieces i will need to cut, for the bottom middle section where is goes upward. I tried to build a sketch to help me figure out the dimensions, but getting stuck on that part. Any thoughts on figuring this?

bookshelf.jpg

bookshelf sketch.ipt

JD, that is the exact method i ended up using.

That is NOT the method I would use - I was just showing how to make your technique work.

If I get a chance I will post the technique I would use.

You will want to become familiar with multi-body solids.

Once you get experience - this is a pretty simple design.

You will want to learn to make use of obvious symmetry in your design.

I notice in your Sketch1 that it is placed with lower left corner at origin, but not constrained to the origin. What happened? This should be automatically done for you by Inventor.

Getting back to symmetry, it doesn't make logical sense for the origin to be at the lower left corner anyhow. I would start with a vertical construction line from the origin and then sketch symmetrical to that centerline.

Back in a bit, in the meantime I recommend you read this - http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I found a bunch of constraints in your sketch that don't make logical sense, and in fact I am surprised Inventor even let you create them.

Edited by JD Mather

I can't look at his stuff right now - I only have 2013 at work - but I suspect that the reason he worked from the origin in the way he did is my fault - in my example part I created one quadrant of the shelf he was making, then mirrored it across the X axis and again across the Z.

That is NOT the method I would use - I was just showing how to make your technique work.

If I get a chance I will post the technique I would use.

You will want to become familiar with multi-body solids.

Once you get experience - this is a pretty simple design.

You will want to learn to make use of obvious symmetry in your design.

I notice in your Sketch1 that it is placed with lower left corner at origin, but not constrained to the origin. What happened? This should be automatically done for you by Inventor.

Getting back to symmetry, it doesn't make logical sense for the origin to be at the lower left corner anyhow. I would start with a vertical construction line from the origin and then sketch symmetrical to that centerline.

Back in a bit, in the meantime I recommend you read this - http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I found a bunch of constraints in your sketch that don't make logical sense, and in fact I am surprised Inventor even let you create them.

....but I suspect that the reason he worked from the origin in the way he did is my fault .

No, I saw that. In the current file the lower left corner of the bookcase is at the origin rather than using symmetry. (and not constrained to the origin, so at some point part of the design at that corner was deleted and then not re-constrained)

The basic difference I would use in the original part is to go ahead and extrude a rectangle.

Then loft two lines as surface and Split or Sculpt - this would return easier to control (and reliable) Loft. Then mirror to the other side.