2014 freezing when editing a sub assembly

cbell1007

While in my top assembly I attempt to edit by double clicking on on the desired sub assembly inventor freezes every time. And I have to be in the top assembly to use its projected geometry to edit the sub assembly. I have also attempted to run the 2014 service pack, but it gives me an error. Also, when I open the top assembly in question, Inventor lets me know changes have been made and would I like to update now. When I click ok it freezes. I need help.

How many parts are in the assembly and can your computer handle it? Could the graphics card be a problem you can check the Autodesk website to confirm. Your status says you are using IV2012 you cannot install a 2014 service pack on this version you need the 2012. If you have IV2014 and the 2014 service pack does not install then you an issue there.

No its definitely not my computer. And I just got a new graphics card as well. I am running 2014 and was successful in getting the service pack installed yesterday after my previous post, but still no improvement. There are 88 parts in the assembly. I model aircraft prototype seats starting from the frame all the way up to upholstery. All was created in one base component part and I believe that to be the problem. Someone in the autodesk forum mentioned to me I can supress the associativity between the components made and their base component. Going to give that a try. Thanks for responding.

What graphics card did you install? I hope it wasn't one of the Radeon HD cards HP has listed on their website. Each card had only 1GB of DDR3 vidRAM.

You can check card/driver here, if you're running just Inventor that card shows up as certified and recommended, if you're running Product Design Suite it's just certified, not recommended. If you click on the card name at that link you'll go to the data page for that card. It also depends on what driver you have installed as to whether or not it is certified/recommended. You can click to download drivers on that data page.

I actually have just got a new computer with this card installed. We run Product Design Suite Premium 2014 and I haven't had any issues. Used to have severe graphics glitches and hangups occur constantly, not at all with new card.

You're right about the part adaptivity, I've found that it's best to turn off adaptivity once the part is finalized. Depending on relationships between parts, Inventor can get stuck in a circular loop and just freeze up.

I model aircraft prototype seats starting from the frame all the way up to upholstery.

Very interesting, do you do this for a living or is this just a model you are playing with? I design rail seats for the UK and overseas for a living and we are plan to look into airline just to see what we could offer.

What graphics card did you install? I hope it wasn't one of the Radeon HD cards HP has listed on their website. Each card had only 1GB of DDR3 vidRAM.

My 6-year-old Radeon HD cards with only 512 MB of RAM are doing just fine with 2014 on high quality settings. Actually, they handle it better than my office workstation with a Quadro.

(Of course, they've got DDR5, not DDR3, but still ...)