Presenting a 3d model on the same page as 2d CAD.

Glen1980

I'm doing some concept drawings for the boss at the moment. I have produced a load of plans and some simple elevations of the rooms, but to make the furniture "live" I have drawn 2 of them in 3d and presented them in viewports on my layout as 2no. isometrics.

Whilst it looks good on paper the mix of 3d and 2d seems to have wiped the performance of my machine so I am thinking of wblocking out the models then flattening them cut and paste and exit the new model drawings without saving, thus allowing me to easily edit in 3d rather than editing an isometric.

My question is how would you guys present these drawings for maximum computer efficiency?

You may want to look at SOLPROF command. It will split your 3D solid in current view to visible/invisible edges, thus allowing display of a 2D sketch in your layout viewport.

Thanks MSasu, I have a had a play with that command but I'm not getting the results I want. I'm displaying in 3d hidden at the moment and all of the hidden lines seem to be displayed after using SOLPROF.

As I'm running out of time I'll have to put up with the slight delays and teach myself how to use that command later.

How about putting the 3D in a seperate drawing and xrefing back into the main drawing, you can still do layout views of the models but do editing in the external drawing, it works for me, but I don't have the performance issues you mention, it could be worth trying

Glen1980, please note that said command will sort the edges in 2 layers (dedicated to the viewport): "PV-*" for visible edges, respectively "PH-*" for invisible ones, so will be very easy to hide what you don't want to display.

Glen1980, please note that said command will sort the edges in 2 layers (dedicated to the viewport): "PV-*" for visible edges, respectively "PH-*" for invisible ones, so will be very easy to hide what you don't want to display.

Cheers mate I think I have it sorted now.