Surfaces cause C3D to crash quite regularly

klrqn

Hi Guys, wondering if you've ever had this issue and have figured out what/why my CAD keeps crashing, and if there are any work arounds/fixes for it..

I have a few different surfaces I've created from lidar and survey data, and they keep crashing my AutoCAD especially when I'm switching between layout tabs, but really doing just about any command haphazardly... I know it's the surface because I can set it to no-display or just turn off the layers and i'm smooth sailing, but with it on i usually crash within 10 minutes. I have a pretty killer computer and it's not that incredibly large a surface, so I'm wondering if it couldn't be something else that's bogging it down...I've tried a few different things but nothing seems to help. getting a littttttttle annoyed, and I've done everything else on the drawing but can't seem to finish because this guy keeps crashing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Running: Civil 3D 2012

Civil 3D (like a few other civil packages also) does not work well with large surfaces (surprise, surprise). When I've used Lidar data I have had to break it into smaller 'chunks'/datasets so I could work on it (in both Civil 3D and other packages).

Where I work we have now moved away from Civil 3D after using it for 6 years. It is still used for ongoing projects in it although all new projects are now started/done in a different design package (with design data then exported to AutoCad for drafting/plan sets).

• 2 weeks later...

You can also try and get the surface smaller.

Use the -purge command - gets rid of regaps

Make sure you also choose "purge nested items" while in the -purge command.

A great command is "Mapclean"

It does several things at once and can really reduce the size of a large drawing.

However be careful with this command as it may inadvertintly get rid of things you need. I always save as

first before using that command.

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up taking a snapshot which helped a bit at the time, enough to get it out on time at least.

I use purge and audit regularly - never seen mapclean before, though, I'll have to try it out.

The lidar paths are all correct - I guess I may just end up trying to cut surfaces down into pieces where applicable from here on out, and turn autoregen off...boy I was getting frustrated that day haha.;)

Thanks again for all of the feedback

Forgot to mention that I will also set Arc and circle Smoothness under Display resolution smaller like to 300 or even 100 if its a big drawing.

Also knock down the other options to.

Where I work we have now moved away from Civil 3D after using it for 6 years. It is still used for ongoing projects in it although all new projects are now started/done in a different design package (with design data then exported to AutoCad for drafting/plan sets).

Can I ask what design package you are using now, and are you liking it more than you did C3D? I know we're getting into Microstation because of Municipal work, and I was trained in GIS so I'm trying to integrate that with out GPS capabilities as we speak.

• 5 weeks later...
Thank you for all the replies. I ended up taking a snapshot which helped a bit at the time, enough to get it out on time at least.

I use purge and audit regularly - never seen mapclean before, though, I'll have to try it out.

The lidar paths are all correct - I guess I may just end up trying to cut surfaces down into pieces where applicable from here on out, and turn autoregen off...boy I was getting frustrated that day haha.;)

Thanks again for all of the feedback

im sure you already have tried this, but how did you attach your data to your surface? for lidar, i usually keep it in the cloud, and for larger topo data sets, attach them as Files (vs import). this method, i think, keeps resource load down.

cheers