PROBLEM!!! Cutting Profile in Beam

omelet

Hi all, i'm newbie need help to solve my problem...

i have 3d drawing beam with cutting profile buat i'm desperate to figure out how the way to make cover plate for cutting profile that i made, always not in same line

anyone can help me to guide how the way to fix it? :cry:

so sorry if my english is confussing you all

thx anyway

Problem.jpg

Crown Block.dwg

I'm not sure exacting what you are asking. Did you want to extend the flange (shown in green)?

Why is there a notch in one of the pieces and not in the other?

Some of your geometry seems off.

Parts of your design seem unusual. What exactly are you creating here?

Wouldn't it be helpful if parts of your drawing were on their own layers with distinctly different colors so they could be readily identified? Why do people insist on drawing everything on layer "0" then overriding the layer color? What exactly does that accomplish?

Edited by ReMark

yeah i know it's messed up ... actually it's just raw dwg not completed yet and you right it supposed to be arrange by layer, like you see in dwg green one buttom line in one side is not a line, i want to make cover plate for notch t i tried many way to make it like it supposed to but still not work, there's some point not parallel in one plan sketch, hopely i can get advise from which side or plan to start to make a sketch for 3D plan

so sorry i just newbie...

Yes, there are at least two bottom flanges that are not square. Why do you need a cover plate for the notch? Why not replace the notched section altogether? I don't understand what you are doing.

Re: notch. You could just fill in the notch rather than cover it. Would that be acceptable?

What are you trying to design? Are you using standard beams? What specification are you following? British, Australian, American, other?

Is there a reason why you have decided not to attach beams to each other with angle iron clips (bolted connections)?

Edited by ReMark

SlantedBeams1.JPG

The beams shown in blue have a problem at both ends as they overlap (interfere) with the beams (shown in white) they are supposed to be connected to.

Edited by ReMark

SlantedBeams2.jpg

A close-up of the problem area at one end of your beam. See what I mean?

There are a few other areas where your geometry does not square up with adjacent pieces and where the centerlines of bolt holes in flanges and plates don't match up either.

Edited by ReMark

AngledBeam1.JPG

I've reworked your angled beam. The ends of the bottom flange were revised and I fixed the ends of the top flange so they would not interfere with the beams they connect to.

AngledBeam3.jpg

Last one. Is it what you had in mind?

If you look beyond the second beam you'll notice you have two bolt holes that fall on the edge of the beam. Not too sure that is standard practice.

Edited by ReMark

omelet: What ever happened with your 3D drawing? Did you eventually solve your problem?

Today is Feb 24 and omelet has yet to respond. I think he gave up. Oh well.

Edited by ReMark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ReMark i'm really appreciate for your help so sorry its been long time not log in 'cuz i got another job to do from my boss, well actually thats work for me when i see your fix dwg, how the way to do that in 3D, i'm really curious (sorry for my bad english)

its seem like u made it to make it all edge of plate in 1 plan of sketch i mean, in my messed up dwg u will see that i start from side and its make me find that in other end of edge one of it its not in plan of dwg (i hope u can understand what i mean 'cus hard to me to explain in english...)

How did I create the beam? Probably the same way you did. I drew the profiles for the flanges and the web separately, extruded them then joined them with the Union command. Your beam, from what I recall, did not appear to be standard anyway. There was something odd about the top flange. Unfortunately I can't check what I did as once you stopped responding I deleted my version of your drawing.

What was that whole design supposed to be about anyway? It looked like someone just slapped a number of structural components together without a plan.

Edited by ReMark

Thx for comment, actually it used for drilling rig, here also i send the way i make cover plate for notch and its not work at all, i have tried make square plan base on notch plan and still find

same problem too

Crown Block.jpg

beam.jpg

First I think your terminology is incorrect. Those aren't notches they are gaps. And the gaps can be filled by either constructing the profile that you extrude correctly (which you haven't) or filled in with extruded triangles.

3DExtrudedPlates.jpg

This is what you need to do to eliminate the gaps between the adjacent horizontal flanges. The profile of the piece that is sloped has to be drawn with each end at an angle other than 90 degrees.

• 1 month later...