New Build & Review - i7-4770K - 32GB DDR3-1866 - GTX 770 2GB

tzframpton

Thought I'd share a build I did yesterday, tested and tuned with Revit and AutoCAD. This thing is fast. To start off, a full spec list of the most important parts:

The computer alone, along with a few other miscellaneous parts and case and stuff was $1,775 tax and all. Not too shabby. The guy I built it for also bought two 23" IPS HD monitors.... cheapies but IPS rocks so either way. For those interested, it's the AOC i2369V monitor.

For anybody wanting to compare specs for a computer build, this can be a safe benchmark. Windows Index Score was 7.8 overall. Revit and AutoCAD just flies open, and this video card doesn't even get out of its chair to lift a finger until you render something. Tested a few good sized models and the only time it slowed down is when Realistic mode was enabled. Cold boot to Windows 7 Pro being "ready" is 12 seconds, consistently. Tested it four times.

The one thing I like about this computer is that it's ultra-quiet. I mean this thing is silent, which is what I was after with the after market Heat Sink and Fan. The PSU fan won't even run if it's not calling for a certain amount of electrical load. The three fans on the video card are extremely silent.... very impressive actually. Case Fans on a $70 Corsair case are dead silent as well.

Very satisfied with this build and obviously so is my friend who I built it for. Just thought I'd share so people can use the info for themselves, or ask questions if they want regarding some of the specs. Enjoy the pics too.

- Tannar

IMAG0941.jpg

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

IMAG0947.jpg

IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0950.jpg

IMAG0952.jpg

Windows_Score_Index.jpg

Tannar, that is smoking!

I am drooling all over my laptop looking at this!

The price is very reasonable, I am seriously impressed. :beer:

I bet it was hard to watch it walk out the door!

Edited by Dadgad

I'm using a 5 year old laptop and find it works fine :)
Using it for 2D or 3D? If 2D only, then yes... a five year old Core 2 Duo or something equivalent obviously works just fine.

The guy I built this for uses AutoCAD for the "bread n' butter" work, but it's truly a Revit machine. Right now he's working on a large medical office building and the plumbing design model alone is tipping at 300MB, let alone the architectural and structural models.

And thanks to all for the compliments. Makes me want to upgrade mine now! haha

So he basically has a game rig for Revit and Cad, correct? Looks like a good solution.
For sure. The PC gaming market and Revit/CAD market's hardware needs have migrated to similar configuration hardware setups, other than SLI configurations. Rendering applications are utilizing SLI configurations, but AFAIK not real-time authoring. Gamers definitely do the SLI route, and probably less RAM needs.

• 1 month later...

Sweet build no doubt I'll have to get my specs together and compare. I have half the amount of ram but it is 2400 MGhz, very fast. Mine too is set up as a gaming rig but runs Revit and AutoCAD very well, no choking or crashes in site. One main difference I'm using a sealed watercooled system instead of giant heatsink (even thou yours looks very cool).

• 3 weeks later...

A couple questions...

1--is the revit an alternative to the cadpipe program, with hvac package for us sheet metal workers? I am looking into alternatives that are out there. Want to make sure I am not missing out on a better product.

2--what set up would you advise for a new desktop? I am on an XP system now and after the 8th might get iffy.

thank you in advance.

Revit is not an alternative. It's an entirely different platform altogether. It's not a design-to-fab platform (yet). Revit allows the original design team, general contractor, and sub-contractors to all collaborate and integrate their models for a complete virtual design and construction environment.

My advice is to get on board with Revit. As for advice for a new desktop, the one I built in this thread is a good starting point. I wouldn't go any less than the specs I've listed.