Inventor Stress Analysis - Modelling of a Mass & CoG

petedow

I am currently trying to model a seat for a peice of equipment. The peice of equipment will be bolted to the seat. The seat will be bolted to the floor.

I have modelled the seat.

I am wanting to know if it is possible, instead of calculating the bolt forces by hand and then applying them to the bolts. If it is possible to make a mass with a given CoG that will then automatically generate the bolt loads in all directions. Or apply the mass force from where the CoG should be.

Any help or point me to somewhere who may be able to help would be great!

Cheers,

I have used the tutroial files that come with Inventor (inventor professional 2012) along with the book 'Mastering Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk Inventor 2012'.

There is probably nobody on earth, whether employed by Autodesk or not, that knows more about Inventor's simulation capabilities than Wasim Younis. Get his books - it will be money very well spent.

Yes fantastic book I have it and I have been personally taught one to one by Wasim on a FEA and Dynamic Simulation course I took a few years back and he is also great in person.

I got the book which will be of help for some things but I had a quick flick through and I dont believe it shows how to model a mass with a given CoG. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Easiest way to do that is to just model your part as per normal procedures, then WHEN AND ONLY WHEN IT IS COMPLETE, go to the PHYSICAL tab in your iProperties. Find the CG for X / Y / Z axes, and then use the MOVE BODY tool to put your CG at 0,0,0 or wherever else you want.

If I've misunderstood your requirements re: CG, and what you're trying to do is create a part which will always be balanced around a given CG ... that, I don't think there is an automated way to accomplish. That will just take careful planning and layout work ahead of time.

I managed to solve this. A lot simpler than I thought by modelling a rectangle with a given density. Using Excel to play about with the dimensions I was able to get the correct Mass and CoG I was looking for.

Many thanks for the help. Im sure ill have some more posts to come since im a relative newcomer to the software.