Converting DWG files to IFC, IGES, IGS errors

archivist

Hello, I am an architectural archivist - not an architect.

I am trying to convert dwg files to IFC. I just export to IFC in AutoCAD 2012. It then creates an IFC file and a log file. The IFC file then doesn't open in AutoCAD. Why is this? Also, this is what the log file says and I'd like to know what this means:

[DefaultDomain: ]EXPORT STARTED: 2/17/2014 2:50:27 PM

[DefaultDomain: ]

=============

Object Count:

=============

- AcDbBlockReference : Total: (287) Fail: (287)

- AcDbRay : Total: (2) Fail: (2)

- AcDbSolid : Total: (4)

** = Object classified as other IFC object.

[DefaultDomain: ]EXPORT ENDED: 2/17/2014 2:50:30 PM

In addition, under Export, if I select Other Formats, and try to export to IGES or IGS, nothing happens. Why is this? and what is the difference between the two files?

Thanks for your help, I am only trying to preserve some architectural history :)

Interesting that in 2012 one can export to an IFC file format but there does not appear to be the same option in 2014. I wonder why. Can you tell me where you found that option as I'd like to try it myself.

ReMark, if you just do Command export then no IFC isn't in the list. but IGES and IGS are there- does that work for you?

I found IFC by going to the top left AutoCAD "A" button, clicking Export, and in that list among other filetypes is IFC. Let me know what happens for you.

I can export to those two formats but I've never had the need to nor have I actually tested it.

That's where I looked. IFC does not appear on the list.

OK...quick test. I can export to the IGES format.

Interesting. I don't have the answer for you; perhaps it was built in to 2012, or perhaps my firm paid for a plugin to get it. Interesting (and annoying) how IGES or IGS doesn't work for me. Hm.

Did you test the ability to export to the IGES file format using a small test drawing? Maybe the problem is with the drawing not with the procedure.

I don't see any of those file types listed under Export in AutoCAD 2010.

AutoCAD 2013 is the same as 2014...no IFC but the other two are listed. I do not have 2011 or 2012 loaded on my work computer.

Maybe your AutoCAD is something different? I think there are different types. We have AutoCAD Architectural. But I heard you can do different things with other programs like AutoCAD Mechanical.

Well that sucks. I don't understand why AutoCAD can't have IFC and 3dPDF built into everything.

And I have tried using drawings as examples to convert to IGES or IGS, but nothing happens. I know that IGES only works for certain types of drawings, so maybe my problem is the drawings. I have no idea how to tell what kind they are though, mesh or otherwise.

I don't think they are 3d actually. There is usually a model tab and a layout tab, the layout tab being an architectural drawing ready for plotting. Therefore since it can be printed on paper, I guess it's not 3d.

I will try to do a LIST on the object and check its Properties. I didn't know I could do that. I haven't been trained in AutoCAD, I'm just learning it myself, and only for the purposes of converting drawings for long time preservation.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Picking up this all discussion because i need to convert to DWG geometry to IFC because it's needed by others in other (non AutoDesk) software..

Now ACA is history .. Do i really need Sketchup to import convert DWG to IFC ?!

Yes the whole DWG structure in fact. Revit can also do IFC, everything else can do it to. Sketchup : DWG in => IFC out. att.

Will have to wait for BricsCAD to start something to 3d DWG IFC ..

Knipsel.jpg