Old Graphi cad files wont open can they be converted??

david corstorphan

I have drawings that i cut and stick onto glass to etch the surface and leave the design clear or frosted.

The problem is a lot of the drawings i am not able to open in either flexi sign or illustrator V6.

The files are DWG and drawn more than 20 years ago how can i convert them so i can cut them and use them please help David

What file formats are supported by each of those programs? Is DXF one of them?

I am self taught and was shown a few years ago how to convert them on the old computer with graphi cad but that computer has long gone, What i was shown was to open in graphi cad and change the file to a .PLT. but DXF or EPS work i cut vinyl for the purpose of decorating glass and a lot of the files are old drawings i have a need for to do reproduction and replacement work..

Adobe Illustrator can open DWGs and DXFs. Some newer files with advanced features cause issues but usually older ones open just fine. Do you have a current version of Illustrator? There might be some free/open source programs that can open these can convert them.

None of the files you posted doesn't appear to be a valid AutoCAD drawing whose content is expected to start with the string "AC####" (that it "AC" followed by 4 digits), which identify the version.

It is possible that those were generated with other CAD application that used the same extension?

Since those files appear to in binary format, please do not attempt to add that id using a text editor since this will permanently damage them.

Is this the same GraphiCAD?

http://www.graphicad.net/en/productos_en.html

Since the files cannot be opened using AutoCAD I think the only way you'll be able to access them is if you got your hands on a copy of GraphiCAD opened them and then save to a DXF file format. Maybe then they can be opened using Illustrator.

Edited by ReMark

If I read the chart right on the FlexiSIGN website you can import a DWG file if it is in 2000 file format. You can also import DXF files. It did not list a year.

Thanks Mark Thats what i was doing then the guy who owned graphicad left and left with it the files were still on the flexisign program but a lot of them i cant open. I was opening them in graphican and saving them as a .PLT file and that worked i was just woundering if there was a another way

As I am not fully conversant in GraphiCAD file creation when it comes to DWG files I'm afraid I am at a loss to come up with a solution.

You have no way of contacting this guy?

No i dont know were he is or how to contact him, Thanks for you time and help thank you.David

Edited by Tiger
removed link