AutoCAD 2014 Layer Control Drop Down

AVITWeb

Ok folks. Until about 9 months ago I had been using AutoCAD. I consider myself pretty versed on the ins and outs. I am by no means an expert but I can hold my own.

I came across an interesting issue today.

It used to be that I could select an object then change its layer simply by using the layer drop down box. I would also be able to change the current layer by doing the same thing.

Today, the latter doesn't work any more. I can change an object's layer but cannot select the current layer the same way. When I try to choose a different layer it just reverts right back to the "current" layer selected in the Layer Properties Manage.

Just for information, PICKADD, PICKFIRST, PICKSTYLE have all been set the right way. I have never experienced this before (in my 15 or so years using AutoCAD.) Is this something that is 2013/2014 specific or is there something not quite right?

Thanks in advance.

Layers that are frozen and xref-dependent layers cannot be set current.

There is no known issue with 2013/2014 regarding this though.

For clarification, does it behave the same way when you use the layer dropdown that is part of the Ribbon _AND_ the layer drop down that is on the layer toolbar?

These are two different controls.

I hate to be "that guy", but have you restarted AutoCAD? Sometimes AutoCAD partially errors where things might go a little quirky. When that happens I just give it the 'ol reboot.

If that's not the issue, how long has this been happening? What happens when you use the Properties Palette instead? Anything?

Just trying to pinpoint the issue by trial and error is all.

Thanks for the quick replies.

This is new to me...The last version I used was 2013 and did not have the problem. i have only been using 2014 for a week and a half and I can tell you until today, it did not happen.

I have given the machine a couple of reboots.

Interestingly I can change the current layer (or the layer an object would be drawn on) through the properties palette. I just cannot change the current layer to another one through the drop down. On the ribbon, I can change the layer, but it seems to obey the layer control drop down on the tool bar. Meaning whatever I change the ribbon drop down to, it ignores me.

Service pack was just installed the other night. Odd part is when I try the ribbon layer drop down things go crazy. Same with some layer commands like "make objects layer current". It tells me in command line that it worked but it does not. Couple this with undo no longer functioning and I fear the actual service pack really screwed things up. Anyone else having these issues?

Rob. No filters.