Managing workflow and the team.

dsibbo

Any CAD managers in here care to share how they manage the work that needs doing and how they manage the distribution of it to their CAD Team.

I have 4 CAD users to manage and I have 7 Engineers who mark drawings up for the team to complete.

I'm looking for examples of how people deal with this on a day to day basis.

Do you set up an excel sheet which logs what is to be done, and assign it to a CAD member.

Or do you do something different?

Just trying to get ideas of how other companies deal with this day to day so I can decide what is best for us.

I have a weekly meeting with all our project managers. They book time in for the jobs they need doing. If I don't have the resources for all the work its up to them to argue it out. This saves me having to be the go between.

I brief the CAD team on their bookings, but I rely on them to arrange a handover meeting with the PM or engineer who they will be working with. This saves doubling up on the briefing sessions.

Is that helpful?

Thanks Pablo. Yes that was really helpful.

How do you manage the resources you mentioned and do you have a system you book it into for instance how do you keep a track of what is doing what, how long it is expected to take etc

Also if you allow the CAD member to pass the final work to the engineer. Do you not have an issue where know one has checked the drawings from a CAD perspective to ensure CAD standards are being met.

Edited by dsibbo

Any CAD managers in here care to share how they manage the work that needs doing and how they manage the distribution of it to their CAD Team.

I have 4 CAD users to manage and I have 7 Engineers who mark drawings up for the team to complete.

I'm looking for examples of how people deal with this on a day to day basis.

Do you set up an excel sheet which logs what is to be done, and assign it to a CAD member.

Or do you do something different?

Just trying to get ideas of how other companies deal with this day to day so I can decide what is best for us.

There are a lot of tools to manage our workflow, but I suggest to take a look at this most popular tool - Replicon ( http://goo.gl/yGF1mm ). It is the best solution that allows you to prioritize your clients as well. To do that we've chosen a different approach for our tool to manage workflows of our projects.

Moreover, every team member get a personal task list which is already prioritized in a proper order. And every project workflow is an advanced template which can be easily reused in a future projects.