Hollow out a 3D curve

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am new to ACAD 2014 and ACAD 3D modeling in general. I am use to Solidworks and Revit so you can understand why I am having such problems. I drew a curve and sweeped a circle. Now I am trying to hollow out the 3D curve. It would make sense that you would use shell. I click on shell and click on my 3D object and it asks for shell distance so I put 1". Shouldn't that be wall thickness which would make a hole. In Solidworks I would draw another circle inside and cut it and it is very simple. I attached dwg. If someone could try to hollow this out and give me the commands used I would be highly grateful.

Thanks,

Brian

3D Ductwork.dwg

Think on it as the answer to the problem lies with your technique (i.e. - Shell). You do have a hollow tube the problem is that when you did the shell it also went 1" in from either end creating a capped pipe. I confirmed this by slicing through your pipe which is indeed hollow. Next time use regions, subtract the I.D. from the O.D. then extrude or sweep.

Follow the command line very very carefully.

When you do the solidedit>shell command it will prompt you to select the faces you want to remove (very similar to SolidWorks technique) but the feedback from the program is not very good compared to what you are used to.