Problem Solving Exercise- Confusing!

AutoCADBeginner

Hi there,

We are currently working on various exercises from the textbook: AutoCAD A Problem Solving Approach. When it comes to Problem Solving Exercise 1 (Figure 3-57) on page 3-32, we are very confused. Is there any way anyone could provide any guidance on how to successfully complete this exercise? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• eldon

• AutoCADBeginner

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not everyone here may have a copy of the book. It might help if you provide us with more detail. An image perhaps?

BTW...We are talking about the AutoCAD 2014 edition right?

That's not the exercise with the arc is it?

Edited by ReMark

Thanks eldon.

I vaguely remembered it but wasn't 100% sure.

Well first off I see there is no radius given for the two arcs on the left hand side.

Wouldn't that be 0.48 radius given by a horizontal dimension, rather than a conventional Radius dimension ?

But my image is snipped from Google, and the figures are not of the best

That's what I'd assume but it should be stated.

Have you tried the exercise yet?

Do you agree that in theory the arcs on the left should be tangent to the vertical line .98 and 1.83 lines?

Do you also agree that in theory the arc on the right should also be tangent to both of the 1.83 lines?

I have tried the exercise and can say that the dimensions are not compatible with an even geometric shape.

I cheated and used fillet among other things :shock:

I cheated and used Circle with the TTR option.

My arcs have a radius of .48 and the vertical line on the left has a length of .98 and both my angled lines are 13 degrees off the horizontal. Unfortunately they are not 1.83 units in length. I also get a different angle on the right and a different distance than 0.39 as well.

I think there is something amiss with Shammy's sketch.

I think that the dimensions are arbitrary!!!!!

For example, the angle at the centre of the right hand arc should be (180 -(2x13))=154, not as shown 145.

Perhaps part of the problem solving is to say the the dimensions given will not produce the desired figure.

There are several errors in the dimensions (especially if you assume tangency between the arcs and the lines).

Dimension errors.jpg

My guess is the 145° is transposed digits as eldon suggested.

My guess is that the .39 is incorrect (I get .382 if I make the horizontal dimension .48).

Oops, I completely missed the 1.83 dimension.

There are too many dimensions if one assumes tangency and then it becomes a question of which ones to ignore and which ones to use as controlling dimensions. It might make a good lesson in geometric construction vs trig hand-calc approximations. If there is a geometric construction method that avoids hand-calcs, that is what I use.

Exercise 3-57c.jpg

My third and last attempt.:?

Pick your poison.

The book should be renamed...A Problem Creating Exercise! LoL

Edited by ReMark

Notice the OP never came back. So much for being interested in getting some help.

Oh well, on to more interesting problems. Ring me up if the OP returns.

Edited by ReMark
Yes, AutoCADBegineer did show up.