Bing map Help please

Decker

Ok here is what Im trying to do. I am creating a project locator for our company. This will be used by the Engineers to locate old projects near their new ones. I am using a Bing map in AutoCAD 2014, and creating blocks with hyperlinks to job reports. There will be a (Block with a hyperlink to file folder) marker for the old job location, and the Engineer(s) will use these to click, and see old data (Geotechnical). My problem is when they open the file the Bing map is not in the drawing, so my question(s) are as follows. (#1)How is the Bing map saved into the drawing?(#2) Can this Bing map migration be viewed by older versions of AutoCAD? Is there a way to save the Bing Map as a file that can be used offline?

Sorry for the wall of text Im just at a road block, and kinda frustrated, and In a time crunch to produce something for my Boss.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Hi Decker, my experience of Bing and AutoCAD is that the user needs to have an Autodesk 360 account to stream the Bing maps data into a drawing. The mapping isn't saved into the drawing - it is merely loaded from the cloud whenever the drawing is loaded.

Depending on the amount of data you are looking to process, it could be worth looking into a dedicated GIS systems at this stage in your project. There are a variety of packages available - Autodesk Map 3d, Mapinfo, QGis etc..

Another option could be hosting the dataset on a webserver that would be available on your intranet