Zoom Extents Problem

Guest Trekiez

Guest Trekiez

Occasionally when I use zoom extents, the screen will zoom to a massive height (1E+86) and the only way to get rid of this is to undo the zoom. This is a pain when I want a full screen view of my work, but can't due to this unknown zoom problem. There are no objects this far out and I've tried selecting this area with all layers on and have had no luck.

Thank in advance!

~ Using AutoCAD 2014

Try using CTRL+A to select alll, and see if any grips materialize at your perimeter.

Or you could try an Isometric view, and set your viewstyle to conceptual, sometimes it makes

things easier to see.

Can you post a .dwg exhibiting this behaviour?

While I might be wrong, I would assume that there really is something out there, and you just

haven't been able to find it.

Almost always, there is something out there. (*que x-files music*)

It could be zero-length lines or text-objects with nothing in them. It could be residue from an xref. There's a lot of things it could be - if you have a particular file that is exhibiting this problem, please post it here. Otherwise like Dadgad said, Ctrl+A to select allt is a good way to start. LAYON and LAYTHW to turn on and thaw all layers. Purge and Audit can help.

Good Luck!

Guest Trekiez

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try out all of these.

The next project I get that has this problem I will post for sure.

I have tried Ctrl+A but there were no grips visible around the perimeter and the layers were also all turned on and thawed.

Thanks again

I have tried Ctrl+A but there were no grips visible around the perimeter

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. After a certain number of objects have been selected, grips will disappear from the screen entirely.

Try the Ctrl+A method to select everything on the drawing, then zoom in to where your drawing is using the scroll wheel. Deselect the parts that you want to keep by holding down the Shift key and drawing a window around the items.

Once you have done that, press the delete key. This will delete anything that might be lurking outside the drawing boundary.

Guest Trekiez

I found the cause on a few files! There was a black line far out in space which was impossible to see due to my background colour being black.

Now to find out how these black lines got here, as none of my layers have black as their 'ByLayer' color and I couldn't have misclicked black as it isn't in the 'colour' drop-down menu in properties..

Guest Trekiez

That would also be a smart move. I could check with both coloured backgrounds just to make sure. It's just wierd that there are black lines in the file in the first place.

I just realized that an easier way might be to create a viewport in Paperspace,

and ZOOM EXTENTS inside of it, as the background color will already be white,

saving you from having to reset the modelspace background color.

I just realized that an easier way might be to create a viewport in Paperspace,

and ZOOM EXTENTS inside of it, as the background color will already be white,

saving you from having to reset the modelspace background color.

My paperspace background colour is also black though :)

Can we please get a copy of the drawing file? We could spend the rest of the day guessing or we can look at a real drawing and figure it out much quicker.

Can we please get a copy of the drawing file? We could spend the rest of the day guessing or we can look at a real drawing and figure it out much quicker.

We are preaching to the choir at this point, as he said in post #9 that he had found a bit of virtual flotsam. :beer:

Apparently I am low on coffee consumption this morning otherwise I would have seen that. Thanks for opening my eyes Dadgad.

Now it's back to the kitchen to put on another pot. It's going to be a long, cold day.