Default Scale List cannot be changed

I received a supplier's drawing in inch units but I need it in millimeters so I scaled the drawing and changed the units to millimeters using the UNITS command. When I dimension the drawing in paper space the dimensions are fine, but when I try to change the paper space scale units from Imperial to Metric they won't change. I can select the Metric option, but as soon as I close and/or reopen the scale units dialog the Imperial units are active again. I tried purging the drawing to no avail.

D5AlX2BFG+AqAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Use the command line version of units, -dwgunits. The leading dash has to be there.

If that does not work, then open the metric template named acadiso.dwt. Copy the originally supplied drawing objects into it, scale them to fit metric units, then save as a dwg file named to your needs.

Sorry to be so long in replying.

The -dwgunits command did show the drawing as being in inches but when I changed it to millimeters I still could not use any metric scales. So I copied the drawing into one of my templates and it worked fine.

Still bugs me, though.

Sorry to be so long in replying.

The -dwgunits command did show the drawing as being in inches but when I changed it to millimeters I still could not use any metric scales. So I copied the drawing into one of my templates and it worked fine.

Still bugs me, though.

You should have been able to add scales to the list, such as 1:10. 1:50, 1:100, and so on.

As far as I know, moving the imperial drawing to a metric template and scaling, is the easiest way to solve all the issues at one time.

Happy to see you are good to go, bugged or otherwise:lol:.

• 2 months later...

I just figured out today how one can change the default scale lists.

Change the MEASUREMENT system variable setting from 0 to 1, and the METRIC scale list will be applied.

Edited by Dadgad

Did you go to the anno scale list, pick custom, pick reset, pick metric scales? Works great here on 2014.

Did you go to the anno scale list, pick custom, pick reset, pick metric scales? Works great here on 2014.

Yet another way to do almost the same thing, which I never would have found since I rarely use that scaling window. :beer:

Interestingly, this will change the dropdown display list, but the DEFAULT SCALE LIST is not affected by it, nor are the HATCH and LINETYPE settings as evidenced by the MEASUREINIT and MEASUREMENT system variable settings remaining unchanged. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried your suggestion, Dagdad. The Default Scale List is indeed metric after applying MEASUREMENT = 1, but when I use the Properties menu to try to change the scale the imperial units are still the only ones available. Closing and reopening the drawing doesn't help. Stay tuned.

Use the CUSTOM option on the viewport scale window, which will call up the EDIT SCALE WINDOW,

where you can change that, courtesy of rkent for that kludgemeister bit of chicanery.:beer:

If need be, set it to custom, then metric.

You will still want to change your -dwgunits if they are imperial.

Beers all around.

After several attempts I tried SCALELISTEDIT, which I presume is what you meant. I pressed Reset and then a window popped up asking which default scale list I wanted to restore. The choices were Metric, Imperial, and Metric and Imperial. I chose Metric and now it works!

Thanks for your help, and especially for coming back months later to the thread.

I only came back after I stumbled onto the solution, and I posted a tips and tricks thread about it, as I had long been annoyed by my inability to resolve this issue.

rkent mentioned the alternate annoscale gambut in Post #6, :beer:

but that alone will not change the default scale lists, without changing

the MEASUREMENT system variable setting too.

At the time you posted this thread, I saw Dana suggesting all the things i would have, and I still did not know the solution.

Then I saw it in similar threads when I posted in the tips and tricks forum, and figured you would be happy to know there is a solution. :beer:

Your thread was the first time I had seen anybody express frustration with the default scale list issue,

more specifically, the fact that it seemed to be unable to be changed.

In the System Variable description for MEASUREMENT, it should be mentioned, in addition

to affecting hatch and linetypes.

Edited by Dadgad