Revising Drawings

brownpj

We are having some debate at work about how drawings should be revised.

My argument is that "revision" is not really the correct terminolgy and "status" would be better. I argue this because I send drawings out under several diffenr guises.

The first is PRELIMINARY, which would be marked "revision" (status) P1, P2, P3, P4, etc (P1 being the original issue)

The second is FOR TENDER, which would be marked "revision" (status) T1, T2, T3, T4, etc (T1 being the original issue)

And finally FOR CONSTRUCTION, which would be marked "revision" (status) A, B, C, D, Etc (A being the original issue).

When the status of a drawing changes from PRELIMINARY to TENDER and then to CONSTRUCTION I remove all the previous revision history.

Some of th other guys at work ALWAYS send their drawings out firstly with no information in the "revision" (status) box then any revisions are marked A, B, C, D, etc.

Does anybody have any thoughts on which is the best way to mark drawings?

Incidently I produce mostly structural drawings and my colleagues who question my methods are producing drainage, highways drawings.

Please help me settle this argument!!

I do structural drawings as well and tend not to use revisions until after construction documents are issued.

Typically there are no preliminary drawings in my office. We send only drawings for Approval and Construction.

The approval drawings are as complete as we can make them before we send them to our clients for review. They then come back with red marks, and we update them accordingly.

Finally we issue for construction.

Afterwards if anything changes or something was missed, we use revisions i.e. "Rev 1 : 08/11/2006" and use a revision cloud and number mark to show the locations of any changes to the drawings.

It certainly simplifies things over what you're describing, although I'm sure you have your reasons.

If your colleagues (brownpj) were to decide not to follow the outline of revisions that you had just described, then perhaps you can suggest using a time and date stamp on all drawings when you send it to plot. Autocad had a function to make this process automatic for you.

We don't issue "Preliminary" sets either. We issue "Bid Sets" which, I guess would be the same as "Tender" and then we issue "Construction Sets". When a drawing set is released for the first time, it's understood that this is the first version of these plans. You don't need to specify that. The revision block is there to keep track of changes made to the plans after they have been released. So Revision 1 would be the first change made to the plans, not the first release of the plans. The date on the plans tells you when they were originally issued and you should not change that date once the plans have been released. If a change order is requested or if you find a flaw in the plans, you make the changes and issue a revised set with Revision 1 filled in.

I think that I mis-spoke myself. My suggestion of a time and date stamp was not as a substitute for the date of the drawing or any date of revisions, but more to be used for in-house purposes to determine the latest plotted set of a drawing. I wasn't intending for that to be used by persons out-side of the office. I agree with the other two people, any officially issued set should have an original issue date, and then revision dates that follow.

Typically, as a rule, I never revert to looking at plotted drawings to find the latest set. Instead I just open the DWG so I know for a fact that it's the latest.

Also I tend to discard any previous sets once they are outdated in order to eliminate confusion.

We have tried many ways in which to Rev up dwg's - Of course it helps that everyone in the office uses the same system..!! :cry:

Now we use numbers throughout, the first dwg is issued for comment at rev '1' untill the dwg is issued for construction at whatever rev and is stamped IFC and the date.

Followed up with an up to date dwg register which also explains the status of the drawing - i.e for comment - approval - construction issue. :D

Anything that is revised is clouded or/and noted in the rev box, the next issue any subsequent clouds are deleted.

Try to keep things as simple as possible - i think some companys make things over complicated.! :D

All drawings in a set should be given the same date, preferably the date they are released for bids. This makes it easier to reference the drawings in the contract.

Try to keep things as simple as possible - i think some companys make things over complicated.! :D

:shock: thats our drawing control manager you must be talking about!

her ways of control are crazy.

Well, you should meet my boss, he likes to keep everything under control, and in one way it's a good habit but it's also frustrating :sweat: .

We have to make different versions per each drawing, they're perfectly organized by week, month and year, and as you can picture it, I have to do all this work :wacko: .

• 3 years later...

Surely the main reason for versioning/revisions are for 'traceablility'.

When things go wrong you have a way of retracing the steps that produced the error, and you can learn and assess the process for the future. Not being able to retrace your steps is a sure way of highlighting that your 'system' is no good.

However it is my belief that many people like the details of any changes to dissapear, in order to hide their inadequacies.

Complicated processes within larger business structures CANNOT be simplified, and stilll work properly. Corner cutting usually means mistakes equalls higher costs, same meat different gravy.