rosswhiteeca

Hi, I've created a drawing in model space in centimeters which I originally drew on A4 paper @ 1:100. When I bring it up in paper space I have to make it 1:10 to fit. Do I need to scale the drawing in model space using z enter s enter 1/10 xp enter to make it the correct scale?

I find the scaling issues very confusing! :?

The site itself is fairly large, 15m x 3.5m

Edited by rosswhiteeca
change wording

Click on the viewport. STOP!

Look in the lower right hand corner of your screen on the task bar.

Your current viewport scale should be shown. If you lick on the down pointing black arrow to the right of the scale a scale list should appear on screen.

The way you are doing it now was OK when layouts and viewports were first introduced. Now there are at least three or four better ways to assign a scale to a viewport.

Viewports and setting scales. This thread demonstrates the many options available.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72213-Viewports-and-Setting-Scale&highlight=viewports

ReMarks threads explains how to do it. That said, it is rare that a drawing is in centimeters - millimeters or meters are much more common. For landscapes, meters would be my suggestion, but then you have to consider the transition from meters (model space) to millimeters (layout/paper space) as well. Drawing in millimeters is much simpler from a scale-stand point.

ReMarks threads explains how to do it. That said, it is rare that a drawing is in centimeters - millimeters or meters are much more common. For landscapes, meters would be my suggestion, but then you have to consider the transition from meters (model space) to millimeters (layout/paper space) as well. Drawing in millimeters is much simpler from a scale-stand point.

Ok thanks, so I guess what I'm asking is how do I change my drawing in model space from centimeters to millimeters? Then it should scale fine in paper space yes?

If you have drawn in it centimeters then you have to scale it up x10 (command SCALE) to get it to millimeters. After that it should look fine in the viewport.

Drawing in centimetres is quite common in this part of Europe, I prefer millimetres myself, But in model space it's all good so long as you use full units, it all depends on what units you use to measure in, you shouldn't worry about scaling in model space. Scaling should be left to your layout.