Can a trial version of AutoCAD be used by a company for viewing files (not producing)

Bass Cadet

Can't find a definitive answer on the web. Basically we have all licensed CAD products in our office. However we have a new employee who is taking over from another employee very soon. Is it legal to download a trial version of CAD so that he can simply view files until the out-going employee leaves?

Any help appreciated

Thanks, we downloaded that. Can he use the trial version to practice while the other employee finishes up? It would not be used for commercial drawings etc. Essentially just wondering if we'd get in trouble for downloading a trial version and using it for practice for the 30 day trial?

I asked the AutoDesk forum and an 'autodesk expert' said he couldn't see a problem...

Thanks, we downloaded that. Can he use the trial version to practice while the other employee finishes up? It would not be used for commercial drawings etc. Essentially just wondering if we'd get in trouble for downloading a trial version and using it for practice for the 30 day trial?

I asked the AutoDesk forum and an 'autodesk expert' said he couldn't see a problem...

I don't see a problem with that either. I'm sure the reason most people download the 30 day trial is to practice. And you aren't gaining anything from it.

But, I am by no means an expert. Hopefully one of the CADTutor experts will come along and give their thoughts on the matter.

I don't think the trial version

sets the Licensed Product flag
in drawings it creates or modifies, so at worst, using it would only generate the unlicensed message downstream.

That really isn't how it works, it just leaves the product serial number field in the database record empty.