Grips not working.... turn red and can't be stretched/moved

My grips stopped working. I first noticed it as I was trying to resize a viewport. Now in paperspace even drawing a polyline I can't manipulate it using the grips. Picking a blue corner it just turns red. I've tried putting things on different layers and made sure everything is turned on. I've had this problem before and can't figure it out.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First enter "Pickfirst" and set it to 1

Now make sure "Gripblock" is set to 0

Then right click the screen and go to "Properties"

Under selection - make sure that all boxes are checked except Show grips withen blocks.

It looks like you are using Civil 3d not plain autocad?

If you have an image in the drawing sometimes you have to turn the "Shift+left click to select image" off

type MAPIOPTIONS and uncheck "Shift+left click to select image".

Good luck and let us know if any of the above worked.

Thanks. I ended up re-booting and when I re-opened the drawing things were back to normal. I've had this problem before though and I suspect it will happen again, so I'll keep your suggestions close at hand. Yes I'm using Civil 3D 2014. I can't be sure but it seems this issue may be related to making changes to the scale while using annotative text and/or making changes to the scale while using dynamic arrows/scale bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again with the same problem! I knew it was only a matter of time. I don't know if it is something I'm doing or what. I tried all your suggestions and nothing worked. The settings are already set as you suggest. Any other ideas are appreciated.

No I've never re-installed. This problem occurs fairly rarely... maybe once a week. Usually I can save, close, then re-open the drawing and it will work fine, but the problem will occur again later in that same drawing. Seems like it happens recurringly only in certain drawings, though I don't know what would distinguish those drawings from all my others.

There's probably some sort of corruption in those files. I don't know of any variables that would cause that to happen and I don't think you'd accidentally change it if there was such a variable.

• 3 years later...

If you are using Civil 3D, this can be cause by using the North Arrow Layout Element, and a clipped viewport. AutoCAD will just stop responding, you won't be able to move grips, etc. You will have to restart AutoCAD, make your layout, and then explode the North Arrow.

• 3 years later...

Did this ever get resolved I have the same issue and the only thing that works is shutting down Civil #d and restarting the drawing.  Very frustrating and time consuming.  Thanks