Creating attribute blocks for a device??

Bharlow1986

I am trying to create a switch tag that comes in when i bring in a switch device. I have gone thru numerous creating att def's and property sets but im still not exactly sure of the easiest way to create it. I want the tag to come in as "3a" attached to the swtich, but also be able to change the text value through the properties menu. Ive come close to getting things the way i want but my tags are scaling up by a huge amount everytime. the device is normal but the tag is huge. Please inform??

It is difficult to say exactly what the problem is without seeing the block, but a guess would be that your attribute text is set to annotataive, or your block. Could you post the block.

It appears your block is unitless but your text is annotative. Check your annotation scale at the bottom of your workspace and make sure it's set to the proper scale. If you don't know which scale to set it to start with 1:50 (1 paper space unit=50 model space units). If your text is to small or to big for your drawing then adjust the scale until you get close to the desired size. Once you are close check the text size of your attribute by going to the block properties. Remember it's not important to have the right size in model space it's important to have the right size in paper space so if you adjust the text size in model space and it looks to small or to big but looks good in paper space then you have the text set to where it needs to be. Some people will tell you just make the whole block annotative, this is a mistake. Making an object annotative does not mean that all the parts of it will scale correctly. It's not something you want to do at this point trust me. Ok then that's all I got good luck.

If i insert only the block(tag) it comes in at the correct size. When i bring it in attached to my switch device, it is now a mutil-view block and scales up. i can go change the scale in my properties window after its inserted but would like the tag to come in at the correct non-scaled size. I feel like ive messes with annotations and tried different sizes but im unsure of which dialog box actually controls what im trying to do. Hope that makes sense haha. There are so many different instances where i can choose annotative/non annotative as well as text sizes. Very confusing!!!

It is difficult for me to add attachments from my work related blocks.

• 1 month later...

Because you are using amep I would stay away from block attributes. Especially if you are going to use schedules instead of tables.

In the device style you you have a top view block. This block is a standard 2d block representing a switch. You need to create non annotative text 1 inch tall and make a non annotative block out of it. Go back to the style manager for your device style and on the view tab, Create another view with top only representation. Use the block you just created for the view block. Check the box for annotation block. Check the box for annotative if the rest of the device is annotative. By checking the box for for use as annotation block, the block can be moved around separate than the rest of the device if it does not always work out in the right spot in the drawing. There is also coordinates for offset so the annotation block does not sit directly on the other top view block.

If you want to change from S3 to S4 later you would change the style in the properties box. You would need a style for S3 and S4 to do so.

I hope that is enough to get you experimenting on The right track.

Looking back at the original post I think I was half right in answering. The S3 should be part of the device style but the "a" for the switch leg could be a property of the device you would add later when taging the device. You could set it up as part of the device style as described earlier.

I would prefer to have my switch device "S" and then be able to change the attached tag to whatever i liked ie. "3" "3a" "OS" etc. Just because other people are "used" to doing it that way. So i have the switch device and i actually have a tag attached but the tag comes in scaled way up and i am forced to go into properties and scale it down everytime. So i suppose i am unsure of the process of creating the tag to come in with the device and also be able to be changed via properties toolbar. And also keeping that tag at the correct size when it comes in attached to the switch device.

I never tried to tag a device and save the device and the tag together so they could be brought in together. I normally have my tags in different drawing from the device. The device is in the construct drawings and the tags are in the view drawing.

If you go into the style manager and see what view block is being used for the top view block. Open that block In the block editor. Try different size text to see what looks right. Close without saving. Build your tag with that size text.

• 3 months later...

Bharlow,

I came across this thread while trying to find a solution to my problem on google,

like you, i am trying to create a device which has editable text. So far i have been able to attach a block to the device and it scales correctly, but i am unable to change the block text. How were you able to attach a block to the device and still be able to edit the text?

Thanks