CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Default Printing the Tutorials

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

As you all are probably aware, the CADTutor tutorials can be printed provided they are used only for personal use.

I have received a nubmber of requests to make the tutorials available in PDF format so that they are easier to print. I have resisted this because it could be quite time comsuming and it means that there are 2 versions of the same document (you may not be aware of it but the tutorials are constantly updated with corrections and improvements).

The best compromise I have come up with is to implement a Cascading Style Sheet strategy across the site. This has already begun and all new tutorials use CSS. The added benefit to this as far as printing is concerened is that I can insert page breaks in the tutorials so that the long one-page format I prefer actually prints properly without the loss of any images and avoiding orphans etc. This seems to work well but is only compatible with Internet Explorer. To be honest, since almost 90% of all visitors to CADTutor use IE, I reckon that's reasonable.

If anyone has comments about this I'd be interested to hear them. Also, I'd be interested to know if anyone actually does print them or whether they are just used on screen.

Thanks

David
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Bloke

Default Re: Printing the Tutorials

I find printing them is a lot easier than viewing online. The tutorials are a great resource & it is nice to have a hard copy for reference at a later date.

superjari

I like them better on computer, just becuase I do not have that mcuh space, but holding a piece of paper and working at a computer just doesn't work for me...

Computer Details
    f700es's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (W)/Windows 7 Home Premium (H)
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 9020 (W)/ Dell Inspiron 570 (H)
    Motherboard:
    Intel (W)/AMD (H)
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4770 quad (W)/AMD Athlon 2 X4 (H)
    RAM:
    16 GB DDR3 (W)/ 6GB DDR3 (H)
    Graphics:
    nVidia Geforce GTX 645 (W)/nVidia GF GT430 (H)
    Primary Storage:
    256 gb SSD 0/ 1TB 1 (W)/1 TB (H)
    Secondary Storage:
    Seagate FreeAgent Go 320gb
    Monitor:
    Samsung P2770HD 28" LCD and Samsung B2430 (W)/Acer 28" LCD (H)
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    f700es's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Space Database Admin
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    Details
    Archibus Management, Space planning, Design
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

[quote author=superjari link=board=news;num=1034675643;start=0#2 date=10/15/02 at 19:01:29]I like them better on computer, just becuase I do not have that mcuh space, but holding a piece of paper and working at a computer just doesn't work for me...[/quote]

He he, I cheat I use a dual monitor system (2 19" IBM G96 monitors) and if I am working with a tutorial, I drag it to my other monitor and have the application running in the main (left hand) monitor. I use the Matrox G450 dual head. Not the best 3d card but rock solid for CAD work.

F7
    Please do not PM me with CAD questions. Post your question on the forum. Our users are the best out there and you'll get the best possible answer to your question.

- http://f700es.deviantart.com/gallery/ -

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess your responses are representative of the user base as a whole - some print and some don't. That makes me feel that my current strategy is probably the right one.

Congratulations to suprejari on becomming the first Full Member of the CADTutor Forum

F7, I've just upgraded my Matrox G450 (which I also use for dual monitor set up) to an ATI 8500, the Gigabyte Maya version - the price just dropped since the 9700 arrived and I reckon it's a bargain right now. You can use Hydravision to get dual monitors and the DVD playback is excellent - the Matrox didn't really cope well. Excellent Open GL for CAD and super 3D if you're into games.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Computer Details
    f700es's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (W)/Windows 7 Home Premium (H)
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 9020 (W)/ Dell Inspiron 570 (H)
    Motherboard:
    Intel (W)/AMD (H)
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4770 quad (W)/AMD Athlon 2 X4 (H)
    RAM:
    16 GB DDR3 (W)/ 6GB DDR3 (H)
    Graphics:
    nVidia Geforce GTX 645 (W)/nVidia GF GT430 (H)
    Primary Storage:
    256 gb SSD 0/ 1TB 1 (W)/1 TB (H)
    Secondary Storage:
    Seagate FreeAgent Go 320gb
    Monitor:
    Samsung P2770HD 28" LCD and Samsung B2430 (W)/Acer 28" LCD (H)
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    f700es's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Space Database Admin
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    Details
    Archibus Management, Space planning, Design
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

[quote author=CADTutor link=board=news;num=1034675643;start=0#4 date=10/15/02 at 20:42:17]Thanks for the comments guys. I guess your responses are representative of the user base as a whole - some print and some don't. That makes me feel that my current strategy is probably the right one.

Congratulations to suprejari on becomming the first Full Member of the CADTutor Forum  

F7, I've just upgraded my Matrox G450 (which I also use for dual monitor set up) to an ATI 8500, the Gigabyte Maya version - the price just dropped since the 9700 arrived and I reckon it's a bargain right now. You can use Hydravision to get dual monitors and the DVD playback is excellent - the Matrox didn't really cope well. Excellent Open GL for CAD and super 3D if you're into games.[/quote]

Cool! Thanks David. Can you span across both desktops? This is the one feature that I must have with a dual setup. I will get a new system later this year and I want to upgrade to a newer video card as well but I must have a dual setup. I will look at your recomendation. Thanks again. I can never go back to 1 monitor for CAD work.

F7
    Please do not PM me with CAD questions. Post your question on the forum. Our users are the best out there and you'll get the best possible answer to your question.

- http://f700es.deviantart.com/gallery/ -

superjari

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

[quote author=CADTutor link=board=news;num=1034675643;start=0#4 date=10/15/02 at 20:42:17]Thanks for the comments guys. I guess your responses are representative of the user base as a whole - some print and some don't. That makes me feel that my current strategy is probably the right one.

F7, I've just upgraded my Matrox G450 (which I also use for dual monitor set up) to an ATI 8500, the Gigabyte Maya version - the price just dropped since the 9700 arrived and I reckon it's a bargain right now. You can use Hydravision to get dual monitors and the DVD playback is excellent - the Matrox didn't really cope well. Excellent Open GL for CAD and super 3D if you're into games.[/quote]

Well, thank you David! I didn't even notice it untill you said it...