Any Excel wizards around here?

Comatosis

I'm asking on this forum because eventually my plan is to import all this information to CAD. In the meantime, however, I'm trying to knock out the Excel stuff first and get it into a shape that will allow me to import it into CAD. If you know of any other websites that you think would be better suited to help me in this respect, I'd appreciate it.

Onto the problem:

-We're reconfiguring the electrical distribution system at a pretty large hospital, which will involve revising the one-line diagram, panelboard schedules, etc.

-I have a "master" spreadsheet where I'm keeping track of all my equipment data, which consist of roughly ~600 pieces equipment, most of them panelboards, switchboards, and other types of electrical distribution equipment.

-I'd like to generate the panelboard schedules for every panel from this list automatically, using existing templates that we have for each "size" panel (e.g. 30-breaker single-phase, 42-breaker three-phase, etc.). I would also like the schedules to automatically update if and whenever I make changes to the master spreadsheet--(hopefully) up to and including generating any new schedules that I might add to the list.

So, the pseudocode would be something like this:

for length of list
If equipment on "master database"= panelboard, then
 copy correct template into new worksheet
 rename worksheet to same as panelboard
 fill in voltage, ampere rating, location, etc. from master database
repeat until end of list

This should be doable based on what I've been reading online, but the closest similar situations I've found involve only 1 template, whereas I have a few dozen. Unfortunately, my VBA skills aren't up to snuff at the moment either.

Thanks a bunch

Have you tried a link to your spreadsheet ? pasting as a special object. I dont do this so others will detail. A couple of images would be good to see excel and DWG output.

Do you need to create a new sheet for every line in the master list or do the same items need to be copied onto the same template, can you post an example of the masterdatabase and a template, showing how things need to be arranged.

I am actually beginning to develop a near identical excel sheet. I ahve already found some software we currently use to import the excel sheets and keeps them updated, it works extremely well. The only issue we have is that the software cannot export multiple sheets at once, and it cannot generate new ones as they are created in the Excel file (although this may be doable through scripting/shell commands in AutoCAD and some coding in Excel).

I am currently just starting to look into this so I have not even looked at the excel side of things.

I am still working on improving the error-checking and making the code more robust, but so far I've gotten it to work. It feels pretty awesome not to have to create ~600 panel schedules one by one. Filling them in is still going to be a total pain, but eh, it's a start at least. :D

I'm pretty sure that you all would cringe at my noob code, but after scouring website after website, I think I have the very basics of VBA slightly figured out. The offer to help is much appreciated.