Shell Command - "Modeling Operation Error: No loop through new edges and vertices."

BoroCAD

Hi,

I'm trying to shell a relatively complex solid with filleted edges but I keep getting the error message:

"Modeling Operation Error:

No loop through new edges and vertices."

I want to shell to 2mm. I've tested a couple of other thicknesses and 5 - 10mm all work but 1 - 4mm don't.

I suspect it's something to do with the filleted edges.

Can anyone please help / advise?

Screenshot and .dwg attached.

BoroCAD

WCAN 1.png

Sample Practical Assignment 2.dwg

JD Mather - Once again that's brilliant.

Could you please explain further which of my fillets were 'wrong'? How did you repair my model (can you still undo the fillets if the undo command doesn't go back that far?)?

I'd also like to understand how to avoid this problem again next time.

Thanks for your help.

solidedit>delete faces to remove fillets

avoid creating 3-sided faces in favor of 4 (or more) sided faces

compare my fillets against yours.

Creating fillets is a complicated technique to master - all I can suggest is try in different orders, undo* and try again, over-and-over again until you recognize before you start selecting edges what AutoCAD (or anyCAD) is going to do.

*or save your model without fillets and keep returning to that state and Save As before trying another order of adding the fillets.

You might notice that the most aesthetically pleasing geometry is also the geometry that seems to give less trouble with functions like Shell. So, if it looks good it is good, if it doesn't look so good.... ....well, you can expect trouble (and not just with Shell).

Edited by JD Mather