Recovering a drawing that has NOT been saved

netman

How do I recover a new drawing that has NOT been saved as yet?

The Recovery manager is only showing past drawings that were saved?

Thank you.

Is the drawing corrupted in some way? Why does it need recovering?

You will have to save and close the original drawing before you do this.

There should be a mydrawingname.bak (back-up) file in the same folder with the original drawing. Go to the Windows folder and rename it to mydrawingname2.dwg (.dwg extension instead of .bak) then open it from there with a couple of clicks. There may not be much in it, it is created upon open and again with each save. At worst it will have whatever was in it the last time it was opened. If it contains enough stuff, then do a save as to the original drawing name.

If it is corrupted, then the .bak file may be also.

The electricity went off . The back up battery kicked in and I hit the wrong re set button.

I have another issue if you could help.

I have made a customized template with all the whistles and bells I need. I would like to save it to THIS place.

How can I do that?

CaptureACADBY2.JPG

Maybe, just maybe there is a .sv$ of your drawing that was created. If there is then you are in luck. If not then you'll have to start all over again.

When you have a moment click on the link below. It is for you own education.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Understanding-AutoCAD-backup-and-autosave-files.html

The electricity went off . The back up battery kicked in and I hit the wrong re set button.

I have another issue if you could help.

I have made a customized template with all the whistles and bells I need. I would like to save it to THIS place.

How can I do that?

Don't overwrite ANY of the default templates in there. They will be handy at some point.

Maybe, just maybe there is a .sv$ of your drawing that was created. If there is then you are in luck. If not then you'll have to start all over again.

When you have a moment click on the link below. It is for you own education.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Understanding-AutoCAD-backup-and-autosave-files.html

I was thinking there would be no .sv$ file since the recovery list didn't have the drawing concerned on it. I think they go away if you click the "Save? NO" button, don't they?

I assumed one was made because the "shutdown" was due to a loss of power (see post #3). The OP did not categorically state he got the drawing back however.

Now I am wondering how it got lost. Any drawing not shut down normally leaves .sv$ files, and AutoCad looks for them after an abnormal shutdown. Not sure what "The Wrong Reset button" is. In my experience Clicking the "No" button, is usually the "Wrong Reset Button".:lol:

The Back Up battery/surge suppressor went on , which meant the buzzer was waling , which meant I had to hit the reset button.

I hit the On/off instead and killed everything.

I did play around with the settings and found a location that Auto saves. I set it for every 5 minutes.

Thank you all again.

You are correct. It is gone. I just started over...lesson learned to save and to name a drawing Before I stat working on it.

On a side note, I am learning to put more of my sections of nets and gear into BLOCKS so they are easier to work with. Have to learn how to modify them but its getting better. The net drawings are well accepted now amongst my customers and they have come to expect them with almost every new net. One day I will master this enough to feel comfortable with AutoCAD Full version 3D. Thank you for all the help over the last years .