Revit Rectangular box

qball

I actually can't find anywhere how to draw a rectangular 3d box.

I want so bad to draw a rectangle and extrude it.

Anyone help?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• qball

• Dana W

• mdbdesign

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NOOOOOO!!!! People trusted you Revit! People trusted you and they died!

(that's a take on a movie quote. I don't actually know any deaths related to Revit, just hair loss and anxiety)

I actually can't find anywhere how to draw a rectangular 3d box.

I want so bad to draw a rectangle and extrude it.

Anyone help?

If you're in a project, you have to go to Architecture Tab > Component > Model In-Place. This is recommended ONLY if this is the only instance, ever, that you will use this solid geometry. In other words, In-Place Model Families are "project specific" and not of importance.

If that's not the case, then you need to build a Family, so go to New > Family > Generic Model, THEN build your item and categorize it (if needed) and Load into the project. Families are like Blocks in AutoCAD, only "everything" in Revit is a Family.

Check out the sketch option.
"Sketch" isn't an "option". You have to first initiate a tool that goes into an Edit Mode, in which a Sketch tool becomes available.

Import from AutoCAD:-)
HECK no. That doesn't solve anything. AutoCRAP needs to stay far, far away from Revit.

:)

I should have mentioned it's revit LT. I don't have Model-in-Place. I have Architecture > Build > Component and it has desks and trees. Yes, it is only one instance; a bench in a pool.

If you're in a project, you have to go to Architecture Tab > Component > Model In-Place. This is recommended ONLY if this is the only instance, ever, that you will use this solid geometry. In other words, In-Place Model Families are "project specific" and not of importance.

If that's not the case, then you need to build a Family, so go to New > Family > Generic Model, THEN build your item and categorize it (if needed) and Load into the project. Families are like Blocks in AutoCAD, only "everything" in Revit is a Family.

"Sketch" isn't an "option". You have to first initiate a tool that goes into an Edit Mode, in which a Sketch tool becomes available.

HECK no. That doesn't solve anything. AutoCRAP needs to stay far, far away from Revit.

:)

Yes, it is only one instance; a bench in a pool.
Well, let me clarify. Personally, this would not be adequate for an In-Place Model, because it's of importance, AND you get more control if you build a Family. To be frank, you need to always, always build a Family for loadable objects. I've used an In-Place Model probably three times in all my years of using Revit. An example, is when I needed to cut a Void in a concrete structure instead of editing 30+ concrete walls for a waste-water treatment plant.

If you get into the habit of building In-Place Families now, then you're setting yourself up for bad habits later. But, this is only my advice, please take it however you wish. :)

And I don't have LT and I can't seem to find a Revit LT online help section, so yeah... can't help you much directly. I've heard there's not much difference between Revit and Revit LT.

Then I guess it wouldn't be useful even if I had said Functionality, instead of Option. From what I have read it would not apply to what the OP is doing.

Then I guess it wouldn't be useful even if I had said Functionality, instead of Option. From what I have read it would not apply to what the OP is doing.
Dana, you are 100% correct in using the Sketch option... you just missed a step is all. You must "sketch" a profile using the Extrude tool... I was just helping clarify is all.

You should start using Revit too. You'll be glad you did. :)

If I click the R top left and New>Family I only have Metric rft. I'm working in Imperial

So I modeled a box in Metric, imported into the project. But it seems I can't edit the box with my pool visible so I actually can pick the edges of the bench in relation to the pool corners and wall height. I need to be able to sketch or modify right on the pool.

If I click the R top left and New>Family I only have Metric rft. I'm working in Imperial So I modeled a box in Metric, imported into the project.
Do you not have both measurement systems as Templates? It's not good practice to mix metric and imperial Families and Projects.

But it seems I can't edit the box with my pool visible so I actually can pick the edges of the bench in relation to the pool corners and wall height. I need to be able to sketch or modify right on the pool.
You can't edit a Loadable Family on the spot. You need to make your "box" Parametric, so that you can edit the parameters once it's placed in the model. If you want to keep the "box" static, then you have to know what dimensions you want it to be first before you place it in the project.

*EDIT*

Can you upload the project so I can take a look at it, by chance?

Dana, you are 100% correct in using the Sketch option... you just missed a step is all. You must "sketch" a profile using the Extrude tool... I was just helping clarify is all.

You should start using Revit too. You'll be glad you did. :)

I tried the trial version last month. My head still hurts.:lol:

In all seriousness, if I were not already semi-retired, and well past retirement age at that, I might consider it more seriously. Then there are my clients, who so far only deal with 2D shop drawings....

I'd have to put in a line at the bottom of my invoices, "Due to recent industry changes resulting in a stratospheric increase in my ability to show off, your cost will be increasing exponentially."

Edited by Dana W

I couldn't upload the file, probably too large, 2.7MB.

This was the problem I had a few years ago when I tried Revit. I thought it might have changed. If a box is a multiple step process, what's the point of the program? I've spent hours on this and I haven't even begun to set up actual details, or reinforcing or anything. A box in Sketchup takes 10 seconds. :?

This was the problem I had a few years ago when I tried Revit. I thought it might have changed. If a box is a multiple step process, what's the point of the program? I've spent hours on this and I haven't even begun to set up actual details, or reinforcing or anything. A box in Sketchup takes 10 seconds. :?

Well, from what I see, Revit is a long jump off the cliff, but when you hit the water, you are able too elude renowned Indian tracker "Lord Baltimore" and relentless lawman Joe LeFors, and escape to Bolivia.

Sorry about the vague and idiotic mixed metaphore.:lol:

I'll have to get out of your way and let someone help you more than I can.;)

Think of it this way. You are not drawing a box to represent a bench. You are modeling a bench. If all you need is a box, then make a family from an extrusion. If you need that family to have options, you need to know how to add those options to the family. If you don't know, you cannot blame the program. You need to go learn how to do that. The place where I work is about to start a course on family creation. I think it's a 12 session course. One of the longer training courses that are going on. If you want it to be easy, go back to AutoCAD. Drawing is easy, being good at it takes time. Modeling is not so easy and getting good at it takes a lot of time. You cannot expect to be able to do what you would think is an easy task.

Do you think that someone with absolutely no construction experience to be able to build a bench? Someone without any experience could probably draw a bench though. So, before you make a family that is adjustable, make one that is a static size. Make more than one if need be. Then look into how you can have more than one static size (type) in the family. Then try to make a family that is adjustable. You can't expect to jump into the pool and expect to know how to swim if you haven't done it before.

First off, Revit is intended to be a purpose-driven design software. If all you need to do is model up a box, then continue using AutoCAD or SketchUP. That's what they are intended to be used for.... "dumb" geometry.

I think Rob hit the nail directly on the head. If you can't model a box in Revit then that's confirmation that training is needed. It sounds like you need basic training, or pick up a "Learning the Essentials" type of book.

If you want, PM me your email or use a program like Dropbox to host the file and provide a link. I will still take a peek at what you have, and show you how to move forward to get you off the ground and running. :)

-Tannar

I see what you're saying. But I should take your previous advice and not mix imperial and metric. So does anyone know where on the Autodesk site I can get the Imperial family templates?

I have RLT2014>Family Templates>English> and all Metric. Did I mention someone from the dealer had to email me the drawing templates? Hopefully he'll reply to my email today and maybe he can get me the imperial templates.

I believe the content can be added simply by going to Add/Remove Programs and selecting "Change" under the Revit installer. It pops the Revit splash dialog with install options, in which you can add content packs. Might want to give it a go?

Any reason my Height parameter grip won't show up on my section or elevation of my pool? It's an instance parameter, same as length and width and they work fine.

cube parameter.jpg

The physical Grips that you can click+drag only show up if it's constrained to a Ref Plane or Ref Line. So, align+lock the top of the "box" to a ref plane/line in an elevation view, then reload the Family and it'll be there.

This is a good read between instance based parameters and the differences in using Planes vs Lines: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2012/02/grips-location-reference-planes-vs.html