Can anyone please help me produce a 3D solid...?

lamensterms

...from the attached geometry?

Hey guys,

I've got this model (.DWG) which seems like it has been exported from Rhino (maybe?), and my first task is to try and produce a 3D AutoCAD solid to match the surfaces/mesh exported from Rhino.

I've been at this for a few hours now and I'm really struggling to produce anything close to accurate. I've tried lofting, extruding along path and filleting a solid edge - all without any luck.

So... I was just wondering if someone could please take a look at the geometry and let me know of a good way to replicate it with AutoCAD solids?

I've attached a DWG. We also have a 3DM file from the client. We have no software which supports 3DM files in our office, so I'm not exactly sure what is in that file. I am unable to attach the 3DM, but if anyone is interested in checking it out, I would be happy to email it.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Model.dwg

Hi Remark,

Thanks for the reply.

I do apologise, I should have explained in more detail in my original post. Our intent is to model the solid filled/closed. I do hope to be able to SHELL the full solid in the future, but I would like to start full solid if possible.

Thanks again.

I've created a full solid based on the basic shape (no curves) but mine failed the SHELL test.

Honestly, I have a difficult time working inside your drawings for some reason. I usually have to copy geometry out and insert it into a new drawing.

Edited by ReMark

Laminectomy1.jpg

Yes, it's a solid (100 units thick) and I was able to finesse it out with the SHELL command but I had to tweak things in order to accomplish the task. This is a section through half of it.

Hi ReMark,

Wow, that looks pretty good. So you achieved that mainly filleting the SOLID edges?

It is a little hard to see on the images attached, but did you manage to encorporate the concav/valley on the front face? Front as viewed from the perspective of post #8.

That is what I was struggling with most.

Sorry but to tell you the truth I have no idea what is the "front" or what you are referring to. I believe I have incorporated all the curves you did in the original drawing posted.

Laminectomy6.jpg

Another view. Visual style: X-Ray.

It may have just occurred to me what you were referring to. Give me a moment. I'll be back.8)

Hi ReMark,

When I say the front... I mean the bottom left most face of the X-ray image you just posted. A little hard to explain, hard to model as well haha.

Is this what you were referring to? It took another cup of coffee to wake me up enough to understand you.:lol: I take that back. I don't understand you.:unsure:

Laminectomy7.jpg

I call this the back of the whatchamacallit.:lol:

Edited by ReMark

The part looks really easy to model (even in AutoCAD), but having said that, I've been following this thread since it started and still have no clue what you are really really after. That makes me think surely I must be missing something. Can you attach additional dwg attempts and use solidedit>color faces to indicate where you are having trouble? Do you have any pictures of a real world part?

Hey guys,

Awesome, that looks great ReMark. Thanks for taking so much time to look into this.

When I refer to the convex shape on the "front"... please see below:

Facade Model.jpg

The hatched face is not flush, hard to see if this is shown in your version of the solid.

Also, here is an architectural render, showing what the geometry actually is...

Facade Model 2.jpg

Thanks again guys.

I never noticed that feature and I can tell you right now my version does not incorporate it.

I'm with JDM on this one: redraw it in AutoCAD.