Weird measuring results

Hello guys,

I'm not very advanced but cannot understand how on the same drawing, under measuring tools, "distance" shows ok while "area" is completely off. For example, I have a square with the side of 50cm which means an area of 2500cm^2. The distance shows indeed 50 while the area shows 100 and the perimeter 40 !?!?

PS : Have been working on tens of drawings and this never happened to me. The drawing was made by someone else, perhaps on another acad version !

If you select the item and go to your properties window, what does the area say there?

I ask because my properties show it correctly, but I don't use that particular drop-down, so I'm not sure why that's saying differently.

Incredible. First, I couldn't click on any object on the drawing to select it, although I could do area or distance by selecting points. After insisting and clicking several times, I've selected that object and under properties it showed an area of 2500. Then, after closing the properties tab and selecting area again it claculated correctly this time and showed 2500 instead of the wrong 100 !?!

You couldn't select on anything at first because your drawing is in a layout view by default. In the bottom left corner of your CAD, you should see two tabs, Model and Layout. You should be doing your drawing in Model, not Layout.

Yes, in model it does show the area well. However, in layout, after clicking several times on an object, it selects it and then it calculates the area properly as well !

PS : I'm not actually drawing anything, I'm calculating the volume of concrete needed :) . Thanks for your help resullins !

Yes, in model it does show the area well. However, in layout, after clicking several times on an object, it selects it and then it calculates the area properly as well !

PS : I'm not actually drawing anything, I'm calculating the volume of concrete needed :) . Thanks for your help resullins !

When you double clicked in your paperspace viewport it took you to MODELSPACE, which is why it then worked.

The geometry of which you are trying to get the volume is in Modelspace, not Paperspace. There's the rub.